Re: [CALBIRDS] errata sheet for Rare Birds of California?

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2008
      I don't know of any published errata, but I've been trying to figure out
      how to interpret Map 4 (page G-4) ever since I got the book. It's not
      at all intuitive. Can anyone explain it? Wouldn't it have made more
      sense to draw lines showing the county at-sea boundaries based on
      nearest points of land?

      I assume the northern boundary simply follows the state line and that
      anything to the north is closer to Oregon.

      Ken Burton
      Arcata
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17, 2008
        Ken, Elias, et al.,

        I can't speak to an errata sheet, but books with a fraction of the
        amount of data in "Rare Birds of CA" often have long errata listings, so
        it should not be surprising that one will be need for this work, nor
        should that reflect negatively on a great book.

        However, I would say that the CBRC intentionally omitted showing "county
        boundaries at sea" on the map because this remains a very controversial
        topic without a consensus among California's birders (i.e., we wanted to
        sell this book in Orange County...). The locations of records at sea
        are given a county designation with respect to the nearest point on land
        (mainland or island) but we recognize that county boundaries at sea are
        not "official" and that it would be perhaps appear too formal to map
        them.

        I too am puzzled by the map on page G-4. The contour lines do look like
        10 nautical miles to me as stated in the figure caption(not 5 as Elias
        suggested), but if this is the case there should only be 20 contour
        lines to get out to the 200 n.m. boundary (there are in fact over 30 of
        them). Rather than speculate on this map, I'll leave it to one of the
        editors or to respond.

        Kimball

        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager
        900 Exposition Blvd.
        Los Angeles CA 90007
        (213) 763-3368
        (213) 746-2999 FAX
        kgarrett@...

        Behalf
        > Of Ken Burton
        > Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:31 PM
        > To: Calbirds; Elias Elias
        > Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] errata sheet for Rare Birds of California?
        >
        > I don't know of any published errata, but I've been trying to figure
        out
        > how to interpret Map 4 (page G-4) ever since I got the book. It's not
        > at all intuitive. Can anyone explain it? Wouldn't it have made more
        > sense to draw lines showing the county at-sea boundaries based on
        > nearest points of land?
        >
        > I assume the northern boundary simply follows the state line and that
        > anything to the north is closer to Oregon.
        >
        > Ken Burton
        > Arcata

      • Elias Elias
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 17, 2008
          Hey Ken and others,

          I might be able to help you out: At least at the 200 mile limit, think
          of the the arcs as belonging to the county that produces the arc.
          Therefore the v's where the arcs meet are the county boundries. As you
          get closer to shore the county lines should cross the contour line
          perpendicularly.

          Kudos to the Editors of Rare Birds of California to including this map
          in this guide.

          I posted a sketch of the map G-4 to the Yahoo groups webpage
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CALBIRDS/files/Regional%20Locality%20Notes/
          It graphically describes what I so poorly tried to articulate with words
          above.

          and Kimball: Orange county birders shouldn't cry too hard. Marin's got
          it worse.