The inundation of Canada Geese

  • Stephen M.H. Braitman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2008
      I apologize if this is off-topic, but it would be nice to get some
      illumination on a subject that has puzzled me for a few years. When I
      first arrived in the Bay Area in 1969, and throughout the '70s, a
      Canada Goose was a pretty rare siting in San Francisco and Berkeley.
      Now, of course, they're everywhere, close to being a nuisance in some
      places! What I'd like to know is when did the Bay Area start becoming
      a home base for either a migrating or resident population of Canada
      geese? This must have happened in the 1980s (?). Have there been any
      studies on this subject? Any research into understanding why this
      situation changed so dramatically? Thanks very much!

      Stephen M.H. Braitman
      San Rafael, CA

      www.MusicAppraisals.com
    • Bill Bousman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2008
        Dear Stephen and others,

        The early history of our San Francisco Bay feral birds has been published as:

        Lidicker, W. Z., Jr., and F. C.
        McCollum. 1979. Canada Goose established as a
        breeding species in San Francisco Bay. West. Birds 10:159–162.

        This is accessible on SORA. I think the best
        discussion of local introductions is by David
        Shuford in the Marin County breeding bird atlas (now out of print).

        Shuford, W. D. 1993. Canada Goose (Branta
        canadensis). Marin County Breeding Bird Atlas,
        pp. 104–105. Bushtit Books, Bolinas, CA.

        David suggests that these birds were purposely
        introduced to the S. F. Bay area, although the
        reasons are unclear. I have also discussed the
        expansion of these feral geese into South Bay (about 1986) in:

        Bousman, W. G. 2007. Canada Goose (Branta
        canadensis). Breeding Bird Atlas of Santa Clara
        County, California, pp. 102–103. Santa Clara
        Valley Audubon Society, Cupertino, CA.

        A copy of the atlas can be ordered from the Santa
        Clara Valley Audubon website. Non-migratory (or
        feral) Canada Geese have been widely introduced
        south of their historic range throughout the
        United States. Everywhere they have been
        introduced they have become a nuisance.

        Bill