Brant at Shollenberger Park in Petaluma

  • newfieman2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2008
      This is my first posting for this group. although I have been posting
      under NorthBay Birds for several years and have several pages of photos
      there, all taken at Shollenberger Park in Petaluma.

      I am curious about the Brant I have been watching at Shollenberger for
      the past three days - is it simply a Black Brant in first summer
      plumage or a hybrid? It can be seen at the park near the weirs at the
      end of the left freshwater channel, in with a large flock of Canada
      Geese. Its head and neck are dark brown and not black. This is so,
      seen either under overcast skies or in sunshine. The photos are true to
      this bird's actual coloration. Any comments?

      The Brant is rarely seen inland and prior to this summer has not been
      recorded at Shollenberger.

      Senior Docent Bob Dyer
      Shollenberger Park, Petaluma