Lassen NP - GRAY JAY, BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER, etc.

  • Shelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2008
      Hey California Birders

      While on a family camping trip at Lassen Volcanic National Park July 11-12 2008, Jay
      Bogiatto and I managed to see some great birds. Interestingly, the most notable were found
      literally within our campsite (Summit Lake North B-16, right next to the 'comfort station').
      We had great looks at least 3 individual BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKERS both days; a new
      California bird for me. We had a single GRAY JAY on the morning of July 11, also right in our
      camp. In addition to the usual cast of characters at this elevation, we found the number of
      western tanagers overwhelming - they were thick! Vocal green-tailed towhees were viewed
      easily at the Sulphur Works. A fairly large (and seemingly leery) black bear was seen crossing
      the road a mile or so south of Summit Lake mid-day (about 2 pm) on Friday July 11. For a
      complete list or other details, email me off-list.

      Bird happy,

      Shelly Kirn
      sakirn@...
      CSU, Chico Biology Dept.