SoCal pelagic trip from Santa Barbara, Sept 6

  • feenstra@alumni.caltech.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2008
      Birders,

      The September 6 Los Angeles Audubon Society deep-water pelagic trip
      heading out of Santa Barbara on the Condor Express is in danger of being
      cancelled for lack of interest!
      And it’s up to us to not let that happen.

      The late fall/early summer is one of the best times year off Southern
      California for encounters with large numbers of birds and a high
      diversity. Species that have been seen out there in the past several years
      have included: Cook’s Petrel (2005), Hawaiian Petrel (2006), Streaked
      Shearwater (2002), Buller’s Shearwater (annual), Wilson’s Storm-Petrel
      (2003), Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel (2003), Least Storm-Petrel, Red-billed
      Tropicbird, Long-tailed Jaeger (annual), Craveri’s Murrelet, hypoleucus
      Xantus’s Murrelet. Though nothing can ever be guaranteed, we do have to be
      out there looking to even have a chance.

      Our plan is to depart Santa Barbara harbor, travel across the Santa
      Barbara Channel and south past Santa Rosa and San Miguel Islands. The
      ocean floor in the area south of Santa Rosa Island and east of the San
      Juan Seamount varies in depth from about 1000 feet to over 10000 feet.
      This region has always been hot on past trips having hosted such stellar
      rarities as last summer’s Tristram’s Storm-Petrel and spring’s Parakeet
      Auklets. And, aboard the fast Condor Express is the only way to get to
      these places in a single day.

      If you had thought about attending this potentially exciting trip, act now
      as we’re running out of time and the final decision needs to be made in
      the next few weeks.
      Details about registration can be found on the Los Angeles Audubon website:
      http://www.laaudubon.org/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=125&op=page&SubMenu=

      Feel free to contact me with any questions.

      Jon Feenstra
      Los Angeles