Mississippi Kite?

  • wagtail1997
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2008
      Just to be on the safe side, I'll post this to Calbirds. Orange
      County does not have a San Jacinto Wildlife Sanctuary but Riverside
      County does. I'm the RBA coordinator for Orange County, not Riverside
      County. I've requested more information about location, age,
      documentation, etc. from the sender but have had no reply.

      Joel Weintraub
      Dana Point, CA

      This is what I got today:

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10, 2008
        I got more information from the sighter:

        I did mean San Joaquin in Orange County.No photo was taken.
        I ruled out other kite species due to
        1 Overall dark gray coloration, lack of white area anywhere on birds body.
        2 Very dark gray color of tail
        3 Lack of clearly defined black shoulder patches
        The kite is an adult,not a juvenile.
        Thank you
        Jim Meneely

        So the Orange County RBA group has been alerted to look for, confirm,
        and document this individual at the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in
        Irvine, if it can be relocated. According to the Rare Birds of
        California, there is only one previous record in 1989 from the county....

        Joel Weintraub
        Dana Point, CA