Crested Caracara

  • Ruth Rudesill
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 8, 2008
      I just got home from a visit to my relatives in Ft Dick (outside Crescent City, Del Norte Co.) The previously reported Crested Caracara was seen by myself and my sister on July 5th in the am.

      The bird was on Lower Lake Dr near Silva Rd. There is a wildlife pullout overlooking a pond and field ( with American bison and long horned Ethiopian cattle in it!) The caracara was in a snag overlooking the pond and flew over us to land on another snag for good scope views.

      There were a lot of TVs there and maybe there was a dead cow or something nearby....

      My Del Norte list has some really great birds on it so this is a welome addition (years ago saw a Gyrfalcon in almost the same spot!)

      Ruth Rudesill
      Kenwood CA