whimbrels in June

  • debbie viess
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25 7:48 AM
      Yesterday while visiting the San Mateo Coast with a
      friend, I observed two whimbrels feeding on offshore
      rocks.

      This was at the oceans edge, just to the North of
      where the road runs off Hwy. 1 to Pescadero, and also
      just to the North of the traditional harbor seal
      haulout there. I got a photo that, when enlarged,
      clearly shows the birds, but not in sufficient detail
      to post to the low-res yahoogroups photos.

      BTW, the smokey air befouling the Bay Area was
      apparent even at the waters edge. No escape for us
      poor Californians in this freakishly early fire
      season.

      Debbie Viess
      Oakland, CA