Bird Box on hiatus

  • Nick & Mary Freeman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2008
      Hi Birders

      The Bird Box is no longer functioning at the old number. Why? I'm
      happy to announce Los Angeles Audubon will be the caretaker of the
      Bird Box. Once we have the system up and running, we will publicize
      its new number.

      We'd like to give a heartfelt thanks to Bill and Kathleen Principe
      for developing and maintaining the Bird Box for so many years. I
      remember when Nick and I first used it back in the early 90s, it was
      announcing the finding of the first (and still only) California Fork-
      tailed Flycatcher, way up north in Jenner. I also recall the great
      reports coming in of the Little Curlew at the Santa Maria river mouth
      also from the early 90s. The Bird Box has been a very useful and
      important source to birders not only in California but across the
      country. We've used it many, many times. I alerted birders to
      recent rarities such as the Buff-breasted Sandpipers in Ventura and
      Los Angeles Counties, and most recently the Black-legged Kittiwake at
      Malibu Lagoon. Bird Box is still a great reporting tool, filling an
      important niche for those from out of town, others without internet
      access, with a computer on the fritz, or at work with only a phone,
      and those in the field with exciting finds to report. Yes, internet
      listservs have become the gold standard for information disbursal,
      but they don't cover all the bases. Once we're up and running again,
      please think of Bird Box when you want to get all of the latest, and
      when you want to get the word out to everyone. This will always be an
      appropriate place to cross-post significant finds. Once it's running,
      I hope to see many of you taking advantage of this great reporting tool!

      We wish Bill and Kathleen all the best in their move to Massachusetts.

      Happy Birding!

      Mary Freeman
      Glendale, CA
      President and Programs Chair for Los Angeles Audubon

      View our chapter's birding events and conservation efforts:
      http://www.laaudubon.org/