Re: [CALBIRDS] Hitchcock's Birds

  • Roger Wolfe
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2008
      Alvaro et al,

      Scientists have attributed the probable cause of the bizarre behavior by
      seabirds near Capitola in 1961 to domoic acid poisoning from a red tide
      algae bloom. See:

      http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1511/is_n11_v16/ai_17643229

      Cheers,
      Roger Wolfe
      Soquel Cove, CA
      http://www.montereyseabirds.com

      Alvaro Jaramillo wrote:
      > Calbirds folks
      >

      > Something a little different here. As I am a fan of seabirds, I have
      > always wondered about the story of the Sooty Shearwaters that rained down on
      > Santa Cruz, part of the inspiration for Hitchcock’s “The Birds;” I found
      > little on it except this:
      >

      > HYPERLINK
      > "http://www.santacruzpl.org/history/unusual/birds.shtml"http://www.santacruz
      > pl.org/history/unusual/birds.shtml
      >

      > What is mysterious is why this happened in 1961 and not again, or has it?
      > There have been many foggy nights in the last 40 years. Has anyone actually
      > looked at this and figured out some good scenarios for why it happened in
      > the first place and why not again?
      >

      > Cheers
      >

      > Al
      >

      > Alvaro Jaramillo
      >
      > HYPERLINK "mailto:chucao@..."chucao@...
      >
      > Half Moon Bay, California
      >

      > Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide
      >
      > HYPERLINK "http://www.fieldguides.com"www.fieldguides.com

      > Checked by AVG.
      > 6:33 AM

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Alvaro Jaramillo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2008
        Roger

        Thanks for clearing up this mystery for me! It never made sense that just
        fog had caused this.

        Great Yellow-breasted Chat and Indigo Bunting this morning in Half Moon Bay!

        Good birding

        Al

        Alvaro Jaramillo

        www.fieldguides.com

        Alvaro Jaramillo wrote:
        > Calbirds folks
        >

        > Something a little different here. As I am a fan of seabirds, I have
        > always wondered about the story of the Sooty Shearwaters that rained down
        on
        > Santa Cruz, part of the inspiration for Hitchcock’s “The Birds;” I found
        > little on it except this:
        >

        > HYPERLINK

        "http://www.santacruzpl.org/history/unusual/birds.shtml"http://www.santacruz
        > pl.org/history/unusual/birds.shtml
        >

        > What is mysterious is why this happened in 1961 and not again, or has it?
        > There have been many foggy nights in the last 40 years. Has anyone
        actually
        > looked at this and figured out some good scenarios for why it happened in
        > the first place and why not again?
        >

        > Cheers
        >

        > Al
        >

        > Alvaro Jaramillo