Hitchcock's Birds

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2008
      Calbirds folks

      Something a little different here. As I am a fan of seabirds, I have
      always wondered about the story of the Sooty Shearwaters that rained down on
      Santa Cruz, part of the inspiration for Hitchcock�s �The Birds;� I found
      little on it except this:

      HYPERLINK
      "http://www.santacruzpl.org/history/unusual/birds.shtml"http://www.santacruz
      pl.org/history/unusual/birds.shtml

      What is mysterious is why this happened in 1961 and not again, or has it?
      There have been many foggy nights in the last 40 years. Has anyone actually
      looked at this and figured out some good scenarios for why it happened in
      the first place and why not again?

      Cheers

      Al

      Alvaro Jaramillo

      HYPERLINK "mailto:chucao@..."chucao@...

      Half Moon Bay, California

      Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide

      HYPERLINK "http://www.fieldguides.com"www.fieldguides.com

      Checked by AVG.
      6:33 AM

    • Roger Wolfe
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2008
        Alvaro et al,

        Scientists have attributed the probable cause of the bizarre behavior by
        seabirds near Capitola in 1961 to domoic acid poisoning from a red tide
        algae bloom. See:

        http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1511/is_n11_v16/ai_17643229

        Cheers,
        Roger Wolfe
        Soquel Cove, CA
        http://www.montereyseabirds.com

        Alvaro Jaramillo wrote:
        > Calbirds folks
        >

        > Something a little different here. As I am a fan of seabirds, I have
        > always wondered about the story of the Sooty Shearwaters that rained down on
        > Santa Cruz, part of the inspiration for Hitchcock’s “The Birds;” I found
        > little on it except this:
        >

        > HYPERLINK
        > "http://www.santacruzpl.org/history/unusual/birds.shtml"http://www.santacruz
        > pl.org/history/unusual/birds.shtml
        >

        > What is mysterious is why this happened in 1961 and not again, or has it?
        > There have been many foggy nights in the last 40 years. Has anyone actually
        > looked at this and figured out some good scenarios for why it happened in
        > the first place and why not again?
        >

        > Cheers
        >

        > Al
        >

        > Alvaro Jaramillo
        >
        > HYPERLINK "mailto:chucao@..."chucao@...
        >
        > Half Moon Bay, California
        >

        > Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide
        >
        > HYPERLINK "http://www.fieldguides.com"www.fieldguides.com

        > Checked by AVG.
        > 6:33 AM

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Alvaro Jaramillo
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 14, 2008
          Roger

          Thanks for clearing up this mystery for me! It never made sense that just
          fog had caused this.

          Great Yellow-breasted Chat and Indigo Bunting this morning in Half Moon Bay!

          Good birding

          Al

          Alvaro Jaramillo

          www.fieldguides.com

          Alvaro Jaramillo wrote:
          > Calbirds folks
          >

          > Something a little different here. As I am a fan of seabirds, I have
          > always wondered about the story of the Sooty Shearwaters that rained down
          on
          > Santa Cruz, part of the inspiration for Hitchcock’s “The Birds;” I found
          > little on it except this:
          >

          > HYPERLINK

          "http://www.santacruzpl.org/history/unusual/birds.shtml"http://www.santacruz
          > pl.org/history/unusual/birds.shtml
          >

          > What is mysterious is why this happened in 1961 and not again, or has it?
          > There have been many foggy nights in the last 40 years. Has anyone
          actually
          > looked at this and figured out some good scenarios for why it happened in
          > the first place and why not again?
          >

          > Cheers
          >

          > Al
          >

          > Alvaro Jaramillo