Totally WHITE BELLIED DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT??

  • Bob & Carol Yutzy
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2002
      We are again requesting if anyone has any information on FULL & CLEAN
      WHITE BELLIED DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS or other cormorants it might be.

      A few days ago we found a clean white underneath from throat to under
      feet and dark on top Double-crested Cormorant ????? with 5 other D.-C.
      Cormorants at Brandy Creek Marina, Whiskeytown Lake, off 299 West out of
      Redding.

      The birds were to the right of the island just off the boat ramp area
      feeding by and sometimes sitting on the first and second white buoy
      markers to the right of the island. This is where there is still a
      Red-necked Grebe that was seen by Jan and John Coon a few days before
      us.

      This was the WHITEST BODIED DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT I can remember
      seeing with 4 or 5 other D.-C. Cormorants. There was a variety of
      whitish and spotted upper breasts on the other Double-crested like I'm
      used to seeing. But this one bird which stood on the white buoys was
      dark above and VERY CLEAN WHITE below from the LOWER FACE TO AT LEAST
      THE AREA BELOW THE FEET! Sibley mentions that juveniules D.-C.
      Cormorants can be variably white below to almost clear white and the
      first volume of the advanced Audubon Guide clearly states that this form
      occurs. But I don't remember ever seeing it before! I tried to make it
      into a Greater Cormorant or something else but it ain't working!

      Does anyone have experience with clean white from under tail to under
      throat in a D.-C. Cormorant or other cormorant??

      We got no response in the previous post except for others never seeing
      this form before either??????????????????????

      HELP!!!!!

      Bob & Carol Y.