2 RB Grosbeaks-Try it a second time with corrections

  • Douglas Aguillard
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2008
      Thank you to the Hastings for posting my initial report.

      This morning, I played hooky from work and went looking for the adult male Rose-breasted Grosbeak in Tecolote Canyon, first found by Peter St. Clair on May 31st. Many people have had the fortunate luck to have this bird singing from the native vegetation in the Canyon, when photographing it. By the time I huff and puff down to the end of the canyon, it was singing from the telephone lines. This is a beautiful adult male, and many of you should make the effort to go and see it. I think it will be summering at this spot.

      On my way down the canyon from the Nature Center, I could hear and see Black-headed Grosbeaks, along with all of the other common canyon birds. I got to a point where I think I was almost a 1/4 mile down the trail, when I could hear another Grosbeak singing, but only saw Black-headeds.

      When I was on my way back towards the mouth of the canyon, I got to the same area where I had first heard Grosbeaks,, and I saw a second male Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1yr. male?, sitting in a bush along side the trail. This is right below USD on top of the hill to the south and the last home on the north, on the road that parallels the canyon trail.

      This Spring has been extremely Rosie, as this make for the 5th male seen.

      May 18th Pt. Loma College Doug Aguillard
      May 27th Famosa Slough Ginger Johnson
      May 30th Tecolete Canyon Peter St.Clair
      June 1st Leucadia Janine Oiseaux
      June 9th Tecolete Canyon 2nd bird by Doug Aguillard

      Sorry for all of typo's in my first message.

      Enjoy,

      Douglas Aguillard
      San Diego, CA
      doug@...
      Black Water Nature Photography
      http://sdbirds.basiclink.com

      "Come to the Darkside--we have cookies!"