RE: [CALBIRDS] a question about the Grinnell and Miller follow on survey

  • JOHN STERLING
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2008
      I just wanted to add to Kimball's excellent post that Grinnell was also the
      primary force behind keeping Yosemite National Park a place where people can
      observe wildlife in their natural habitats. Without his energy and vision,
      much of Yosemite would have turned into a theme park (and for a time it even
      had a zoo in the valley that Grinnell finally convinced the Park Service to
      eliminate). He was also a major force behind promoting responsible wildlife
      management policy in the National Park System. We still enjoy his profound
      legacy that goes far beyond his collection of scientific specimens.

      John Sterling

      VVVVVVVVVV

      26 Palm Ave

      Woodland, CA 95695

      cell 530 908-3836

      ani@...

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2008
        Greetings fellow birders, I'm still looking for information about the Grinnell resurvey. At website http://mvz.berkeley.edu/Grinnell/index.html I see that this "intends to further Grinnell's vision by extensively resurveying the vertebrate diversity at the sites he and his colleagues examined" and "Grinnell Resurvey Project: This map represents the California Life Zones. Boxed on it are some of the proposed project areas for comprehensive resurvey." I can't seem to find a link that provides any further information on the plan. Is there any information that is publicly available?

        Thank you,
        Susan Steele