Reminder - SMBAS Meeting: Kimball Garrett on "My Fa...

  • CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2002

      SMBAS Meeting: Kimball Garrett on "My Favorite
      Misidentifications."

      Date: Tuesday, February 5, 2002
      Time: 7:30PM - 9:30PM PST (GMT-08:00)

      Santa Monica Bay Audubon Society presents Kimball Garrett on
      �My Favorite Misidentifications�. �We've all
      misidentified birds in the field (in fact, the speaker once
      identified a Horned Lizard as a Western Tanager), but we can
      also learn from our mistakes. In this talk we'll look at some
      frequent and recurring misidentifications and examine where and
      how we go wrong. The slide-illustrated lecture is intended to
      help improve our birding skills.�

      Kimball is the Ornithology Collections Manager at the Natural
      History Museum of Los Angeles County, a position he has held
      since 1982. A lifelong resident of southern California, he has
      been birding actively in the region for 35 years. He co-authored
      "Birds of Southern California: Status and Distribution" with Jon
      Dunn in 1981, and they also teamed up to produce the Peterson
      "Field Guide to Warblers of North America", published in 1997.
      He is a member of the California Bird Records Committee,
      Past-President of Western Field Ornithologists, and member of
      the American Birding Association Checklist Committee.

      We meet at the Ken Edwards Center, 1527 4th Street (between
      Colorado and Broadway), Santa Monica. Parking is under the
      building; metered spaces are free after 6:00 p.m., and there are
      numerous free Visitor Parking spaces on the 3rd level. We meet
      on the first floor - the room number will be posted. Meetings
      begin at 7:30 sharp with a short talk on California Native
      Plants for your Garden, a little business, and our main
      presentation. Refreshments will be served.