RE: [CALBIRDS] Re:Acorn Woodpeckers as Urban Scavengers?

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2008
      BJ and Calbirders,

      The ranger at Laguna Mountain who told you that Acorn Woodpeckers don't eat acorns should stick to putting out campfires and emptying garbage cans and stay way from interpretation. Acorn Woodpeckers do indeed eat acorns (53.3% of their diet and 58.9% of their diet in two studies cited in the BNA account). Insects are indeed an important (and seasonally preferred) foot item, but acorns are a fundamental part of the species' diet.

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett
      Section of Ornithology
      900 Exposition Blvd.
      Los Angeles, CA 90007
      213-763-3368
      kgarrett@...

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2008
        On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 15:28:02 -0700 (PDT), BJ Stacey <bjinsd@...>
        wrote:

        > I was just told last weekend by the ranger at Laguna Mountain that the Acorn Woodpeckers don't actually eat acorns. They eat the insects that are attracted to the acorns. If this is true, perhaps those birds have found a way to survive with the lack of acorn but still using the same old trick.

        Ah, the old "worm theory" raises its head from the grave.

        This is totally untrue. Acorn Woodpeckers eat acorns. Some acorns may
        contain worms, but that is by accident, not design.

        It doesn't matter how many times this bogus theory gets debunked, people
        still remember it and still repeat it without ever checking the facts.

        --
        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
        Birding Classes start Sep 9 in SF http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/