Rose-breasted Grosbeak Tecolote Canyon - San Diego

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2008
      There have been 4 recent sightings of adult male Rose-breasted Grosbeaks in San Diego in
      the last two-or-so weeks. On Saturday May 31st the bird was reported in Tecolote Canyon -
      an open space park. I visited on Monday afternoon without any luck. There were loads of
      black-headed grosbeaks. The bird was reported again on Tuesday afternoon. This morning I
      went back and came across a stunning adult male in the exact spot reported.

      Its a pretty easy one-mile hike from the nature center at the east end of Tecolote Road
      Follow the main dirt north and east road past the SDG&E Gas line facility and past the large
      electrical tower until just before you get to the south end of the golf course. The bird sings
      loudly from the tops of the willows.

      I've posted several photos at:

      http://tinyurl.com/ytjbvh

      Eric Kallen