Victor Emmanuel Nature Tours Pelagic Trip for 02/02/02.

  • Douglas Aguillard
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2002
      Sorry this is late, but if you weren't on the boat, you wouldn't be able to
      chase anyways. The trip started at 7:45 a.m. The air was cool ,the sun was
      out, and the water was extremely calm. We had 54 fellows birders on board
      the New Seaforth, A great birding platform! Leaders on the boat were Barry
      Zimmer, Guy McCaskie, and myself.

      Immediately from the dock we had Belted Kingfisher, Double-crested
      Cormorants, and herons around the Bait Dock. Leaving the main channel to
      hit the open ocean we had Black Turnstones and Surfbirds on the rock jetty.
      We saw only a few birds as we headed up to La Jolla Cove.

      We encountered several California Gray Whales heading south to their winter
      homes in Baja California. The Sea Lions were out in force though out the
      trip as we also had Pacific White-sided Dolphins join us on occasion. We
      finally came across Black-vented Shearwaters and a Red Phalarope, before we
      hit the La Jolla area and got very good looks at both.

      It became clear from where we were, that there just wasn't many birds
      outside of the cove. So I had the Captain head into La Jolla, and it is
      here that we finally got some birds. Both Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers
      were harassing the gulls. A Rhino Auklet gave us great looks, and on our
      way back to Mission Bay, Guy spotted a Mew Gull flying at the back of the
      boat with the other gulls. It seems that Cheesy popcorn is the preferred
      popcorn of gulls, as they swarmed over that, more than the plain buttered
      version.

      These trips are designed for the east coast birder who wants to see the
      Black-vented Shearwater, as anything past that is icing on the cake. Other
      birds of note were 1 Royal Tern and several Bonaparte's Gulls.

      Douglas Aguillard
      SoCal Field Guides
      San Diego, CA.
      doug@...

      The Birds, Butterflies, & Dragonflies of San Diego County-
      http://sdbirds.basiclink.com