Re: [CALBIRDS] Finding Calliope Hummingbird?

  • debbie viess
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
      In light of this message, I couldn't resist posting
      yesterday's sighting... while waiting for one of our
      BAMS (Bay Area Mycological Society) members to return
      from the field, along the Southern flank of Mt.
      Shasta, my friend Larry Stickney was leaning up
      against a rock, wearing a sweatshirt with several
      colorful amanita mushrooms on it. Up buzzed a Calliope
      hummingbird, who attempted to "drink" from the bright
      scarlet amanita muscaria so depicted! Perhaps it was
      just a foolish fledge. At any rate, all I saw was the
      fat bumblebee sized bird zipping off, but my friend
      Larry looked it in the eye!

      BTW, the town and store in mountain hummingbird
      country is called Bassetts, the time is now. The SFSU
      Field Station, along Hwy. 49, also has a hummingbird
      feeder outside the porch of its dining hall, where the
      calliope frequently perch to feed. Ask Jim Steele,
      Station director, for permission to check it out.
      Dippers often nest under the bridge leading onto
      campus as well.

      Debbie Viess

      ps this location is a bit north of Tahoe, but very
      much worth it, in terms of bird quality and quantity.
      Again, ask Jim Steel for directions to the Sierraville
      Marsh to the East, another birding hotspot. Other
      members of this list may also be able to give you good
      directions to this uniquely beautiful and bountifully
      birdy, hi-elevation freshwater marsh.

      --- sblauman1 <sblauman1@...> wrote:

      > Hi Birders,
      >
      > Can anyone tell me of a reliable location to find
      > Calliope Hummingbird
      > and the best dates? I am hoping for a location from
      > Lake Tahoe south to
      > and including Yosemite.
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Sara Blauman
      > Stockton

    • Kris Olson
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
        Hi Sara,

        Debbie Viess and Laurence Taylor mention the Sierra City area (Sierra County
        on highway 49 at the intersection of Gold Lake Highway). There are many
        Audubon trips there each June -- it's a fantastic area. My family went on a
        non-birding trip in early August 2006, and it's too late for Calliope's by
        then. We found the feeders at the popular location, Bassett's Station, and
        also there are many at Packer Lake Lodge, up Gold Lake Highway.

        http://www.bassetts-station.com/
        http://www.packerlakelodge.com/

        A good source of information about any birding area in California is Joe
        Morlan's California birding pages:
        http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/sie.htm This site has a link to the SF
        State, Sierra Nevada Field Station, which has a checklist of birds of the
        area (you can also purchase it at Bassett's).

        Joe lists this email group as the one that reports sightings from Sierra
        County. You can join on Yahoo Groups or see the last 30 days sightings at
        www.sialia.com. I imagine that this email group has many excellent
        reportings of birding trips to Sierra City and Sierra Valley.

        Another place for Caliope's is Hodgdon's Meadows in Yosemite Ntl Park. An
        Audubon trip saw 5 or 6 on Saturday this weekend at the hummingbird feeders
        outside a ranger's residence. We also saw 1 out in the meadow on the tops
        of the dead branches in the willow thickets. I am not sure how reliable
        this location is.

        Good birding,

        Kris Olson

        --- sblauman1 <sblauman1@...> wrote:

        > Hi Birders,
        >
        > Can anyone tell me of a reliable location to find
        > Calliope Hummingbird
        > and the best dates? I am hoping for a location from
        > Lake Tahoe south to
        > and including Yosemite.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Sara Blauman