Finding Calliope Hummingbird?

  • sblauman1
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31 9:20 AM
      Hi Birders,

      Can anyone tell me of a reliable location to find Calliope Hummingbird
      and the best dates? I am hoping for a location from Lake Tahoe south to
      and including Yosemite.

      Thank you,
      Sara Blauman
      Stockton
    • Laurence Taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31 9:45 AM
        Yes, Barrett's Station. It is on Highway 49 west of Sierra City and close to SFSU Sierra Field Station. My best advice is to check N. CA. Audubon trips to Yuba Pass and Sierra Valley. It is north of L Tahoe but well worth the trip.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
          In light of this message, I couldn't resist posting
          yesterday's sighting... while waiting for one of our
          BAMS (Bay Area Mycological Society) members to return
          from the field, along the Southern flank of Mt.
          Shasta, my friend Larry Stickney was leaning up
          against a rock, wearing a sweatshirt with several
          colorful amanita mushrooms on it. Up buzzed a Calliope
          hummingbird, who attempted to "drink" from the bright
          scarlet amanita muscaria so depicted! Perhaps it was
          just a foolish fledge. At any rate, all I saw was the
          fat bumblebee sized bird zipping off, but my friend
          Larry looked it in the eye!

          BTW, the town and store in mountain hummingbird
          country is called Bassetts, the time is now. The SFSU
          Field Station, along Hwy. 49, also has a hummingbird
          feeder outside the porch of its dining hall, where the
          calliope frequently perch to feed. Ask Jim Steele,
          Station director, for permission to check it out.
          Dippers often nest under the bridge leading onto
          campus as well.

          Debbie Viess

          ps this location is a bit north of Tahoe, but very
          much worth it, in terms of bird quality and quantity.
          Again, ask Jim Steel for directions to the Sierraville
          Marsh to the East, another birding hotspot. Other
          members of this list may also be able to give you good
          directions to this uniquely beautiful and bountifully
          birdy, hi-elevation freshwater marsh.

          --- sblauman1 <sblauman1@...> wrote:

          > Hi Birders,
          >
          > Can anyone tell me of a reliable location to find
          > Calliope Hummingbird
          > and the best dates? I am hoping for a location from
          > Lake Tahoe south to
          > and including Yosemite.
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Sara Blauman
          > Stockton

        • Kris Olson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2008
            Hi Sara,

            Debbie Viess and Laurence Taylor mention the Sierra City area (Sierra County
            on highway 49 at the intersection of Gold Lake Highway). There are many
            Audubon trips there each June -- it's a fantastic area. My family went on a
            non-birding trip in early August 2006, and it's too late for Calliope's by
            then. We found the feeders at the popular location, Bassett's Station, and
            also there are many at Packer Lake Lodge, up Gold Lake Highway.

            http://www.bassetts-station.com/
            http://www.packerlakelodge.com/

            A good source of information about any birding area in California is Joe
            Morlan's California birding pages:
            http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/sie.htm This site has a link to the SF
            State, Sierra Nevada Field Station, which has a checklist of birds of the
            area (you can also purchase it at Bassett's).

            Joe lists this email group as the one that reports sightings from Sierra
            County. You can join on Yahoo Groups or see the last 30 days sightings at
            www.sialia.com. I imagine that this email group has many excellent
            reportings of birding trips to Sierra City and Sierra Valley.

            Another place for Caliope's is Hodgdon's Meadows in Yosemite Ntl Park. An
            Audubon trip saw 5 or 6 on Saturday this weekend at the hummingbird feeders
            outside a ranger's residence. We also saw 1 out in the meadow on the tops
            of the dead branches in the willow thickets. I am not sure how reliable
            this location is.

            Good birding,

            Kris Olson

            --- sblauman1 <sblauman1@...> wrote:

            > Hi Birders,
            >
            > Can anyone tell me of a reliable location to find
            > Calliope Hummingbird
            > and the best dates? I am hoping for a location from
            > Lake Tahoe south to
            > and including Yosemite.
            >
            > Thank you,
            > Sara Blauman