MAY 11, 2008 SHEARWATER JOURNEYS' MONTEREY PELAGIC TRIP

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2008
      Howdy, Seabirders,

      Shearwater Journeys' pelagic trip from Monterey on May 11th was very
      productive for both seabirds and marine mammals. Highlights included:
      over 150 BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES, with counts as high as 60 birds at
      once sitting behind the boat for great photo opportunities; good
      numbers of returning shearwaters, including 50 PINK-FOOTED and 3000
      SOOTY SHEARWATERS, mostly adults in molt, a surprising 25 ASHY STORM-
      PETRELS; an out of this world showing of alternate plumaged RED and
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPES; one knockout SABINE'S GULL showing breeding
      pink suffusion; 2 ARCTIC TERNS; great views of COMMON MURRES, PIGEON
      GUILLEMOTS calling under the dock before we even pulled away, 4
      RHINOCEROS AUKLETS, and a spectacular display of BREACHING HUMPBACK
      WHALES! One of the most incredible sights was the massive feeding
      frenzies of a combination of species � shearwaters, BRANDT'S
      CORMORANTS, COMMON MURRES, PACIFIC LOONS, along with the humpback
      whales, and swarming, tightly formed masses of CALIFORNIA SEA LIONS �
      all feeding on schooling anchovies in one giant ball of life!

      We found one of the LONG-TAILED DUCKS in the Monterey harbor.
      Hundreds of Brandt's Cormorant nests were on the Coast Guard
      Breakwater, along with at least three nests under the red light at
      the end of the breakwater. NEW, this year, are BRANDT'S CORMORANTS
      NESTING ON A FISHING VESSEL that is tied up in the harbor! We counted
      11 nests on this small boat! Several small flocks of BONAPARTE'S
      GULLS were moving throughout the day, as were a few FORSTER'S TERNS
      and a couple of CASPIAN TERNS. The Red and Red-necked Phalaropes put
      on a brilliant display. I haven't seen such beautiful alternate
      plumaged phalaropes since my visits to Longyerbyen, Spitsbergen, and
      Grimsey Island, Iceland last summer. All in all, it was a pretty darn
      good day!

      We thank all of the participants who came from near and far, as well
      as the leaders: Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, Steve Howell, Jennifer
      Green, Don Doolittle, Matt Brady, Debra Shearwater, and Oscar
      Johnson, our chummer.

      Our next trips from Monterey with spaces available are: June 27, July
      25, August 15, 22, 29, and many trips during September and October.
      Our next trips from Bodega Bay are scheduled for August 1 & 12, and
      September 19. We offer one trip to the Farallon Islands on August 10
      to see the Tufted Puffins. To date, we have a 100% success rate.
      Finally, our two trips from Fort Bragg this season will be August 8 &
      10th. Shearwater Journeys offers over 30 trips during the coming
      season. Please see our web site for more details, and past trip reports.

      The complete species list for MAY 11, 2008 follows:

      RED-THROATED LOON-2
      PACIFIC LOON-150+
      COMMON LOON-3
      WESTERN GREBE-3
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS-150+
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER-50
      SOOTY SHEARWATER-3000+
      ASHY STORM-PETREL-25
      BROWN PELICAN-6
      BRANDT'S CORMORANT-580
      PELAGIC CORMORANT-30
      SURF SCOTER-190
      LONG-TAILED DUCK-1
      BLACK TURNSTONE-8
      SURFBIRD-1
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE-300
      RED PHALAROPE-150
      BONAPARTE'S GULL-34
      HEERMANN'S GULL-3
      CALIFORNIA GULL-15
      HERRING GULL-2
      WESTERN GULL-500
      GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL-2
      WESTERN/GLAUCOUS-WINGED-5
      SABINE'S GULL-1
      COMMON/ARCTIC TERN-1
      ARCTIC TERN-2
      FORSTER'S TERN-12
      CASPIAN TERN-3
      COMMON MURRE-380
      PIGEON GUILLEMOT-12
      RHINOCEROS AUKLET-4
      SEA OTTER-12
      CALIFORNIA SEA LION-500+
      NORTHERN ELEPHANT SEAL-1
      HUMPBACK WHALE-21
      HARBOR PORPOISE-2

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debi

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com

      *Antarctica, South Georgia, & The Falkland Islands, January 5-24, 2010*
      Shearwater Journeys' Exclusive Charter