Continuing Red-necked Grebe & white bodied D.C. Cormorant

  • Bob & Carol Yutzy
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2002
      Today we easily found the apparently single remaining RED-NECKED GREBE
      at Brandy Creek Marina, Whiskeytown Lake, off 299 West out of Redding.

      The bird was to the right of the island just off the boat ramp area
      between the first white buoy marker and the island. This is just where
      it was seen on Jan. 31 by Jan and John Coon.

      There were also two adult BALD EAGLES atop the pines on the opposite
      shores of the lake.

      What was also quite interesting was the WHITEST BODIED DOUBLE-CRESTED
      CORMORANT I can remember seeing with 4 or 5 other D.-C. Cormorants.
      There was a variety of whitish and spotted upper breasts on the other
      Double-crested like I'm used to seeing. But this one bird which stood
      on the white buoys was dark above and VERY CLEAN WHITE below from the
      LOWER FACE TO AT LEAST THE AREA BELOW THE FEET! Sibley mentions the
      juveniules can be variably white below to almost clear white and the
      first volume of the advanced Audubon Guide clearly states that it
      occurs. But I don't remember seeing it before!

      Anyone have any insight on this.

      Bob & Carol Y.