Cassin's Sparrow - Carrizo Plains

  • TEdell@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2008
      I returned from a weekend in the Mojave area to find that on May 10 Sam Fitton
      had found a CASSIN'S SPARROW while doing a Breeding Bird Survey on the Carrizo
      Plain in San Luis Obispo County.? Doug Stinson, Maggie Smith and I refound the
      bird this morning around 7am.? It was singing and doing aerial flights for?the
      hour we watched it?from an area of mixed grasses and salt bush.

      To get to the location from Hwy 58, turn south onto Soda Lake Road and then east
      onto Belmont Trail (http://morrocoastaudubon.org/carrizomaps/map2.jpg)?and go
      east for two miles to Chubback Road.? We heard the bird singing to the southwest
      from this intersection.?Park at the intersection and walk about 100 yards south
      along Chubback to Chula Vista (which ends at Chubback) and look west (straight
      toward Soda Lake Road)?to the area where we saw the bird.?

      I will post a few digiscoped photos on my Flickr site this evening.

      Tom Edell
      Cayucos, CA
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedell/

      Groups Links