The Searcher 5-day pelagic, June 2-6, 2008

  • David Pereksta
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2008
      Hello Birders

      The next multi-day voyage of the Searcher is nearly a month away and we are still trying to fill the last spots on it. The Searcher has comfortable bunk rooms, great food (thanks to Chef "Lurch"), and a generous assortment of beverages (soda, coffee, beer, and wine); all of which are included in the price. This trip will have Todd Easterla, Jon Feenstra, and myself as leaders.

      This trip gives us the opportunity to get far offshore of southern California and spend a lot of time in places that one-day trips can only search briefly, if they can get there at all. The itinerary focuses on maximizing daylight hours in the most productive places for seabirds like the northern Channel Islands, San Juan Seamount, Cortez and Tanner Banks, and the banks off of San Diego. County listers can expect new "ticks" for Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, and San Diego Counties.

      This trip is the first multi-day trip planned for June when the sea should be comfortable and the chance for mega-rarities should be high. A one-day exploration to the San Juan Seamount area in July 2007 had a Tristram's Storm-Petrel, an April 2007 day-trip had seven Parakeet Auklets between the San Juan and San Nicholas Island, and a short trip to the waters south of Santa Cruz and Anacapa Islands in June 2007 had 250 Xantus's murrelets, 330 Cassin's Auklets, and a Flesh-footed Shearwater. Just imagine what we can find out there spending the hours we can on the Searcher...

      Spring/Summer trips to these waters have also regularly found Black-footed and Laysan Albatrosses, Ashy Storm-Petrel, Red-billed Tropicbird, South Polar Skua, and numbers of other shearwaters, storm-petrels, jaegers, alcids, gulls, terns, and phalaropes. Rarities that have been found off southern California at this time of year that we will be searching diligently for include Cook's (very good chance of finding this one), Murphy's, and Dark-rumped Petrels; Short-tailed Albatross; and Wedge-rumped Storm-Petrel. Based on recent reports off the Pacific Coast, we are also hoping to find Parakeet Auklet and Horned Puffin again after their invasion last year. There are other birds that we dare even mention that we might have a chance at...look at the website for some of those.

      We never know what we will find out there, but there is always something that leaves indelible memories with all who have gone aboard.

      Check out the following link for more info on the searcher including price, expected/target species, and leader bios.
      http://www.socalbirding.com/ june_2-6_ 2008_searcher_ 5-day_expedition

      Hope to see you at sea...

      David Pereksta
      Ventura