GGRO seeks raptor migration volunteers

  • allenf21
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2008
      Now entering its 26th year of raptor monitoring in the Marin
      Headlands, the Golden Gate Raptor Observatory is looking for a few
      dozen avian-astute, tree-hugging, responsible, and on-time
      volunteers to make up our 2008 apprentice class. If you've ever
      wanted to move beyond Redtails and TV's, and live near the Bay Area,
      then this is your best chance. With nineteen species of raptors
      regularly appearing each autumn over the Golden Gate -- and with
      many ages, sexes, and morphs of the hawks -- this is a great way to
      learn the whole range of plumages of western US hawks, kites,
      falcons, eagles, vultures, and osprey.

      Our only 2008 Recruitment Classes are April 29 & 30, 7 to 930 pm,
      and May 3rd, 10 am to 1230, held at Upper Ft Mason in San Francisco,
      at Bldg 201, GGNRA Headquarters. Enter the fort at Franklin and
      Bay. Come to one of these, or call us if you can't make any but
      still want to volunteer.

      The fine print: The GGRO volunteer commitment is one field day every
      other week from August through early December; we need weekenders
      and weekdayers. Volunteers can opt to train as hawk counters or
      banders. Training provided in June and July. Must provide own
      transportation to the Marin Headlands. GGRO is a program of the
      Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy in cooperation with the NPS.

      For more info, please call us at 415-331-0730 , surf www.ggro.org,
      or email us at ggro@.... Thanks for your time.

      Good birds --

      Allen Fish