Re: Butterbredt Permission Required? Followup

  • Chuck & Lillian
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2008
      Birders,
      Here is a follow-up to my previous response on this topic, forwarded to me by another member of SMBAS.
      Chuck Almdale
      Santa Monica Bay Audubon Soc.

      Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:16 PM
      Subject: [kerncobirding] Butterbredt Spring Access

      The following is from Kathy Sharum, a BLM biologist regarding the recent incident where a birder was asked for ID:

      I did a little investigating and spoke with a couple of BLM biologists for this area. They told me there has been some recent vandalism to some of the fences. They also said there had been a couple of rangers from somewhere else working there on assignment as well as a couple of non-law enforcement rangers that may not have been familiar with the setup at Butterbredt Spring. Word has been sent to the lead ranger to make sure everyone understands that this area is open to birders. The biologists were not aware of any written permission requirement, the spring is on private land and there is an agreement between the landowner and Audubon who maintains the spring/trough to allow birding/birders. This spring is under the jurisdiction of the Ridgecrest BLM Office, you can call there if you have questions. I would ask for a law enforcement person or a
      biologist. If I learn of anything else, I will post it.
      Kathy Sharum
      Carrizo Plain National Monument
      Posted by
      Mike Stiles
      Los Osos, CA

      Birders,
      As a long-term member of Santa Monica Bay Audubon Society (SMBAS), it's news to me that the BLM or anyone else is asking about permission to enter Butterbredt Spring.
      As our chapter has paid for fences, signs, cattle-watering troughs, etc. for the spring for well over 20 years, and as it's this stuff that has been vandalized in the past and continues to periodically cost us money, I can't say that I personally find such BLM questioning wholly unwelcome.

      What Bob Barnes says below coincides with the facts as I know them. The spring and the surrounding property belongs to Onyx Ranch. It's their land that gets torn up by ORV people and it's the wildlife on their property that gets shot by hunters wandering around looking for something to shoot and it's their cattle that suffer when people mess with the gates or the watering systems.

      I personally have full faith that birders treat the spring and the structures around it with consideration and respect. To my knowledge, no one in our chapter has ever had any objection to any birder/birders visiting the spring, and I doubt that any such objection has ever crossed the mind of any of us. I think it's considerate that BLM should be watching out for the property and equipment of Onyx Ranch or SMBAS. As B.Barnes says, just tell them that you're there to observe/count birds, and you should be OK. The fact that you're wearing a shady hat and binos rather than a visored helmet and armored body suit and standing astride a smokin' 'cycle should clue the BLM people as to what sort of activity you're up to.

      Meanwhile, I will check with the other members of the chapter to see if anything has changed that I don't know about and I'll notify you'all know if it has.
      Chuck Almdale
      SMBAS Field Trip Chairman