FW: Butterbredt Permission Required?

  • bewickwren
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12 8:39 AM
      Forwarding the below for Bob Barnes

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Bob Barnes
      Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2008 7:55 AM

      I suspect we will find out about be challenge of BLM when going to bird
      Butterbredt with the spring birding season at Butterbredt upon us. Keith
      Axelson has covered Butterbredt via a chapter in ABA's A Birder's Guide
      to Southern California for the past several editions. Keith was the
      prime mover in getting Onyx Ranch to work with Santa Monica Bay Audubon
      Society to get the area to be called a sanctuary. Keith has never
      mentioned in person or in writing about the need for any kind of
      justification for BIRDING Butterbredt.

      The Butterbredt property, at least the main spring (and numerous acres
      checker-boarded around it), is private (Onyx Ranch). BLM would almost
      surely have no authority to regulate use of the land belonging to Onyx
      Ranch. That would be up to Onyx Ranch. Onyx Ranch folks reportedly
      strongly dislike OHVs due to their negative impacts on the area. There
      are round signs all over the place along Kelso Valley Road stating words
      to the effect of "No ORVs." Those are all on Onyx Ranch property. In his
      chapter in the ABA SoCal guide Keith tells readers "Butterbredt Spring
      is included within the largest Area of Critical Environmental Concern
      (ACEC) administered by BLM. All vehicle travel within Butterbredt Canyon
      is restricted to Butterbredt Canyon Road (SC123) and Gold Peak Road
      (SC124). There are no designated motorcycle trails, apart from the
      roads, through this fragile environment. A letter from you to the BLM,
      Ridgecrest Resource Area, 300 South Drummond Road, Ridgecrest, CA 93555,
      in favor of continued motorcycle closure will help to keep it this way."

      Based on the above, I think birders are not only welcome to bird, but
      are seen as "de facto" overseers of the health of Onyx Ranch property in
      and around Butterbredt Spring ... which clearly has happened when
      birders have reported prohibited OHV use in the area.

      If birders are stopped by BLM personnel at Butterbredt this spring, I
      suggest that they take a minute to explain that they are there to
      witness (and catalog) spring migration as it is a known area for
      witnessing spring migration and has been publicized as such in ABA's "A
      Birder's Guide to Southern California" for years and years. I am glad
      BLM is present to protect the integrity of Butterbredt Canyon. They
      likely come in with a black and white attitude regarding enforcement. It
      is up to us to show them the shades of gray which separate birders use
      of the area from that of OHV users.

      Bob Barnes
      Ridgecrest, Kern County

      Checked by AVG.
      4/12/2008 11:32 AM

      Checked by AVG.
      4/12/2008 11:32 AM

    • Chuck & Lillian
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 12 2:50 PM
        Birders,

        As a long-term member of Santa Monica Bay Audubon Society (SMBAS), it's news to me that the BLM or anyone else is asking about permission to enter Butterbredt Spring.
        As our chapter has paid for fences, signs, cattle-watering troughs, etc. for the spring for well over 20 years, and as it's this stuff that has been vandalized in the past and continues to periodically cost us money, I can't say that I personally find such BLM questioning wholly unwelcome.

        What Bob Barnes says below coincides with the facts as I know them. The spring and the surrounding property belongs to Onyx Ranch. It's their land that gets torn up by ORV people and it's the wildlife on their property that gets shot by hunters wandering around looking for something to shoot and it's their cattle that suffer when people mess with the gates or the watering systems.

        I personally have full faith that birders treat the spring and the structures around it with consideration and respect. To my knowledge, no one in our chapter has ever had any objection to any birder/birders visiting the spring, and I doubt that any such objection has ever crossed the mind of any of us. I think it's considerate that BLM should be watching out for the property and equipment of Onyx Ranch or SMBAS. As B.Barnes says, just tell them that you're there to observe/count birds, and you should be OK. The fact that you're wearing a shady hat and binos rather than a visored helmet and armored body suit and standing astride a smokin' 'cycle should clue the BLM people as to what sort of activity you're up to.

        Meanwhile, I will check with the other members of the chapter to see if anything has changed that I don't know about and I'll notify you'all know if it has.

        Chuck Almdale
        SMBAS Field Trip Chairman