Final notice - May 3 SoCal deepwater pelagic trip

  • feenstra@alumni.caltech.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2008
      Birders,

      My apologies for this advertisement, but if all goes well, future rare
      bird reports will result.

      This is the final call for people to sign up for Los Angeles Audubon
      Society's May 3 deep-water pelagic trip out of Santa Barbara. The trip is
      in danger of being cancelled without further participants and it would be
      a particular shame for this proven exciting trip.

      This is one of the few single-day opportunities to explore waters above
      and beyond the continental shelf. Previous trips to the vicinity of the
      San Juan Seamount and the neighboring 2000 fathom waters southwest of Pt
      Conception at this time of year have produced Black-footed and Laysan
      Albatrosses, and Murphy's Petrels. Last year we encountered Black-footed
      Albatross, Flesh-footed Shearwater, a flock of about 1000 Sabine's Gulls,
      a pod of Orca, and seven Parakeet Auklets. According to recent
      communications from Terry Hunefeld riding a NOAA boat off Oregon, Parakeet
      Auklets are again being seen well offshore in a seeming echo of last
      year's invasion. We're hoping that they once again make it down our way.

      Again, this boat gets us all the way out to the contintal shelf and back
      in a single day. Because of the normal difficulty in reaching such
      environs on a birding trip, little is known about the status of seabirds
      out there, and a surprise is certainly possible.

      Please act now.
      Registration information is below. For questions about the boat or the
      birds, feel free to email me at feenstra AT alumni.caltech.edu

      Jon Feenstra
      Los Angeles

      (The following copied from www.laaudubon.org)

      Saturday, May 3
      A deep water trip toward the San Juan Seamount.
      This trip departs from the Santa Barbara Harbor on the fast catamaran
      Condor Express at 7:00 a.m., and will return approximately by 8:00 p.m. We
      will cruise along the deep water shelf by the San Juan Seamount. Birds
      previously seen: Laysan and Black-footed albatross; Northern Fulmar; Sooty
      and Pink-footed shearwaters: Parasitic, Pomarine and Long-tailed jaegers;
      Ashy, Leach’s and Fork-tailed storm-petrels; Pigeon Guillemot; Xantus
      Murrelet; Cassin’s and Rhinoceros auklets; Tufted Puffin. Rare
      possibilities are Murphy’s Petrel and Red-billed Tropicbird.
      Leaders: Todd McGrath, Jon Feenstra, Kimball Garrett, Dave Compton and
      David Pereksta. $198. There is a complete galley that serves breakfast,
      lunch and dinner.

      Please call Audubon House at 323.876.0202 or email peltrip@...
      questions or concerns.

      Reservations will be accepted ONLY if ALL the following information is
      supplied:

      1) Trip desired

      2) Names of people in your party

      3) Phone numbers: (a) usual and (b) evening before event, in case of
      cancellation.

      4) Separate check (no cash please) to LAAS for exact amount for each trip.

      5) Self-addressed stamped envelope for confirmation and associated trip
      information.

      Send to:

      Los Angeles Audubon - Reservations
      PO Box 931057