Help for research on red-winged blackbirds?

  • sluepold
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2008
      Dear Bird Banders and Birders

      For a research project I am looking for banders, researchers or other
      ornithologists who are handling red-winged blackbirds during this
      breeding season and would like to collect fecal samples from the males.

      I am a grad student from the UK and work on different aspects of
      reproduction in the New World Blackbirds (Icteridae), including the
      evolution of sperm design. As part of this project I have collected
      sperm from different populations of red-winged blackbirds and many
      other icterid species over the last few years. Due to the genetic and
      morphological diversity of redwings across North America, I now aim to
      collect further samples from additional locations (and putative
      subspecies) for a more detailed between-population study of the
      variation of sperm traits in the redwing. California and surrounding
      states are particularly interesting as there are thought to exist
      different subspecies in that area, including the unique Central Valley
      form.

      I am thus looking for enthusiastic bird banders and researchers who
      would be able to collect fecal sperm samples from about 20 male
      redwings of a given population during this breeding season. The
      techniques are non-invasive and fairly simple. If you would like to
      help, please contact me directly for further details. I will gladly
      supply the required materials and give instructions on the methods. I
      look forward to hearing from you and remain with many thanks in advance.

      Stefan Luepold
      University of Sheffield, UK