Visiting San Diego from London

  • Dominic Mitchell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2002
      I will be visiting San Diego with my family for two weeks from 9 February.
      During this time I will be gathering material for an article on the birding
      opportunities of the city/county for publication in 'Birdwatch', Britain's
      leading magazine for keen birders.

      As part of this I'm interested in the possibility of teaming up with local
      observers for the occasional field trip, and would be pleased to hear from
      any guides, or just knowledgeable birders, who might be able to spare some
      time in the field (or if not, simply provide a little advice). I've made
      numerous previous birding trips to N America before, including central and
      northern California, but have no personal experience of, or contacts in, the
      San Diego area.

      I have already tried posting this message on the SDBirds list, but it
      bounced back and I assume the group is now defunct. I am aware of the San
      Diego Bird Festival in early February, but the dates of my trip do not
      coincide well so I am keen to find other ways to tap in on local expertise;
      this would include help in finding birds such as Le Conte's Thrasher,
      Mountain Plover and other such species which to British birders will be a
      very appealing 'lure'. Most of my stay will be in San Diego city, but we'll
      also be spending two nights in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park to get a
      flavour of somewhere a little different - and time permitting, I hope to
      strike out to the Salton Sea.

      Needless to say, those who are able to help will be fully acknowledged in
      print and expenses reimbursed. Please reply privately if you wish, and
      thanks in anticipation for any assistance.

      Dominic Mitchell
      Publisher and Editor
      BIRDWATCH MAGAZINE
      dominic.mitchell@...
    • Dominic Mitchell
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2002
        Following my earlier posting re. the above, can I just say thank you to all
        those who took the trouble to reply. As a result of some very helpful
        arrangements for my visit. Thanks again,

        Dominic Mitchell
        Publisher and Editor

        BIRDWATCH MAGAZINE editorial@...
        BIRDWATCH BOOKSHOP bookshop@...
        3D/F Leroy House, 436 Essex Road, Islington, London N1 3QP, UK
        Tel: 020 7704 9495 Fax: 020 7704 2767 Website: www.birdwatch.co.uk