May 3 LAAS Deepwater Pelagic from Santa Barbara

  • toddamcgrath
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2008
      Birders,

      There are still spaces left on The Los Angeles Audubon spring
      deepwater trip. Last year's trip featured Parakeet Auklets, and past
      trips have produced rarities like Murphy's and Dark-rumped Petrels.
      This is one of my favorite trips of the year, and early May is a fine
      time to be sabirding in Southern California. Xantus's Murrelets are
      breeding on the Chaneel Islands, and we are likely to encounter them
      in numbers are we proceed out to sea. All 3 Jaegers are possible, and
      spring is an excellent time to look for Albatrosses (Laysan can be
      present is small numbers, and Black-footed is seen every year).

      This trip will make a special effort to locate Murphy's Petrels,
      which are not present every spring, but can be present in small
      numbers.

      Our vessel is the ultra-fast, extremely comfortable Condor Express.
      This catmaran features a spacious and comfortable cabin, full galley,
      and excellent viewing from both the upper and lower decks.

      We will be adequately supplied with popcorn, fish, squid, beef suet,
      and cod liver oil, to try and bring the birds in close.

      I hope you can join us on what is always a memorable trip. Please e-
      mail me if you have any questions. The information on signing-up is
      listed below, the price is $198. Please act soon, as this trip has
      sold out the last several years.

      Todd McGrath
      SKUA@...
      Marina Del Rey, CA

      Saturday, May 3
      A deep water trip toward the San Juan Seamount.
      This trip departs from the Santa Barbara Harbor on the fast catamaran
      Condor Express at 7:00 a.m., and will return approximately by 8:00
      p.m. We will cruise along the deep water shelf by the San Juan
      Seamount. Birds previously seen: Laysan and Black-footed albatross;
      Northern Fulmar; Sooty and Pink-footed shearwaters: Parasitic,
      Pomarine and Long-tailed jaegers; Ashy, Leach's and Fork-tailed storm-
      petrels; Pigeon Guillemot; Xantus Murrelet; Cassin's and Rhinoceros
      auklets; Tufted Puffin. Rare possibilities are Murphy's Petrel and
      Red-billed Tropicbird.
      Leaders: Todd McGrath, Jon Feenstra, Kimball Garrett, Dave Compton
      and David Pereksta. $198. There is a complete galley that serves
      breakfast, lunch and dinner.

      PELAGIC RESERVATION POLICY AND PROCEDURE

      Please call Audubon House at 323.876.0202 or email
      peltrip@... questions or concerns. 2008 PELAGIC SCHEDULE

      ----------
      Reservations will be accepted ONLY if ALL the following information
      is supplied:

      1) Trip desired

      2) Names of people in your party

      3) Phone numbers: (a) usual and (b) evening before event, in case of
      cancellation.

      4) Separate check (no cash please) to LAAS for exact amount for each
      trip.

      5) Self-addressed stamped envelope for confirmation and associated
      trip information.

      Send to:

      Los Angeles Audubon - Reservations

      PO Box 931057

      Los Angeles, CA 90093-1057

      If there is insufficient response, the trip will be cancelled four
      weeks prior to the scheduled date. You will be so notified and your
      fee returned. Your cancellation after that time will bring a refund
      only if there is a paid replacement.

      REFUND POLICY FOR PELAGIC TRIPS

      If a participant cancels 31 days or more prior to departure, a $5
      service charge will be deducted from the refund. There is no
      participant refund if requested fewer than 30 days before departure,
      unless there is a paid replacement available. Call LAAS for a
      possible replacement. Please do not offer the trip to a friend as it
      would be unfair to those on the waiting list. All pelagic trips must
      be filled 35 days prior to sailing. Please reserve early.