SCVAS trip to Honey Lake

  • Matthew Dodder
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17, 2008

      The annual SCVAS trip to Honey Lake (Lassen County),
      led by Bob Hirt was a huge success this past weekend.
      GREATER SAGE GROUSE were present and displaying on the
      lek as hoped. Other highlights of the trip included
      ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK (light and dark phase), several BALD
      TITMOUSE, 2 NORTHERN SHRIKE (an adult and an
      immature), and MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRD.

      Bob sent me a quick list of the full trip which
      includes a few more birds than I mentioned above. I'm
      attaching it below:

      Friday Hi-lites with Paulann Thurmon and David

      Red Rock Road:

      Juniper Titmouse

      Townsend's Solitaire

      Highway 395 marshes on right before Honey Lake:

      Eurasian Wigeon

      Dakin Unit:

      Im.Northern Shrike at entrance road and Mapes corner
      Fleming Unit area seen by Matthew and Kelly Dodder:

      Ad. Northern Shrike on Mapes between 395 (more
      precisely the Five Point Pheasant club Sign) and Fish
      and Game road (seen by David McIntyre and Paulann

      Huge Snow Goose Flock right behind first house on
      Mapes at S curve. Huge Pintail flock on west side of
      Mapes just beyond.

      Golden Eagle: On right hand cliffs on 395 going north
      just beyond the mustang corrals.

      Janesville Main Street:

      Slate-colored Junco at Robinson's feeder (also
      Mountain Chickadees) at entrance to cemetery.

      Lewis's Woodpecker five at Vermillion's house tree
      south of the church (very bad weather)

      Saturday Hi-lites:

      Sage Grouse: 16 males and 8 females and a small
      Pronghorn herd (20).

      Fleming unit area:

      Ad. Northern Shrike (likely same bird as Friday) 8 AM
      on Fish and Game road near where ponds are on both
      sides before the unit. We had 6 Redheads on the ponds
      to the North of the road.

      Rough-legged Hawk: at unit there were 3 (one dark
      phase). A few Sandhill Cranes left.

      Susanville after breakfast:

      Mink: In Susan River near Weatherlow bridge and Mill

      Eurasian Collared Dove: along Carroll St.

      Evening Grosbeak: from pedestrian trail over Lassen St
      and bridge (ole railroad grade) also a Slate-colored
      Junco at a feeder seen from the elevated trail on the
      east side of the pedestrian bridge.

      No White-headeds or decent birds along Wingfoot Road
      except many Townsend's Solitaires

      Red-naped Sapsucker: Across from Veterinarian in
      Janesville before the cemetery road

      Lewis's Woodpecker: With Red-naped (2) and back at the
      church were about 12.

      Mountain Bluebird: Mapes Road between
      Standish-Buntingville Road and the Dakin Unit.

      Rough-legged Hawk: 3 more at Dakin and one Adult Bald
      Eagle far out near lake in tree.

      Golden Eagle: Overhead at Dakin. A few Swans were
      there but not much else.

      Ad.Northern Shrike: Mapes road same spot as Friday
      late in day again 5PM. This is same bird moving around
      a bit.

      Sunday Hi-lites from Eagle Lake (which was completely
      frozen over):

      Townsend's Solitaire and Rough-legged along route. Due
      to time change we were at Jack's Valley too early.

      Much snow on roads. Some turned back. Lake was totally
      frozen over. No ducks no eagles no Osprey.

      Pinyon Jays in two locations: Stones Landing first
      road entrance (50) and Rock Point (?) Lakeshore drive
      (125) along with large flocks of Evening Grosbeaks and

      Northern Pygmy Owl: Where the telephone wires parallel
      the road for two to three mile. It was 200 yards (back
      toward Spaulding) from base of steep uphill grade that
      has the old hawk / osprey nest in it. It was in a tree
      at base of thirty foot rock cliff on north (west?)
      non-lake, side of road. Found by Bruce Mast and Bob
      Power. An amazing spotting while driving.

      Returned home via Hwy 36. Stopping at Lake Almanor
      causeway (Common Mergansers and Ring-necked Ducks) and
      at Lassen Nat'l Park which was beautiful but had zero
      birds and an entrance fee. In the past I've had
      White-headed (missed for trip this time), Black-backed
      and Blue Grouse. no such luck this time.

      Matthew Dodder
      Mountain View, CA