Looking for a good field guide.

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17, 2008
      Hello,
      My name is Sean, and I use to go birding back in college 15 years ago
      or so. At that time, one of the better field guides was National
      Geographic's North American Birds.
      I want to expose my 9 year old son to hiking and birding and need a new
      field guide.
      Does anyone have any recommendations?
      Thanks,
      Sean of San Clemente, California
    • Nancy
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 17, 2008
        Hi Sean:

        My favorite is "Birds of North America" by Kenn Kaufman. This was my first field guide when I began birding eight years ago. Since then, I've acquired several more, most all of them excellent; however, I find myself using the Kaufman guide first then checking one or more of the others to confirm my observations.

        Good birding,

        Nancy Feagans
        Redondo Beach, CA

        My name is Sean, and I use to go birding back in college 15 years ago
        or so. At that time, one of the better field guides was National
        Geographic's North American Birds.
        I want to expose my 9 year old son to hiking and birding and need a new
        field guide.
        Does anyone have any recommendations?
        Thanks,
        Sean of San Clemente, California

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        #ygrp-mkp hr{
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
        #ygrp-mkp #hd{
        #ygrp-mkp #ads{
        margin-bottom:10px;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad{
        padding:0 0;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
        color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
        font-family:Arial;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
        margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        ..bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-reco {
        margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
        #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
        font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}

        #reco-grpname{
        font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
        #reco-category{
        font-size:77%;}
        #reco-desc{
        font-size:77%;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a{
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o{font-size:0;}
        ..MsoNormal{
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        ..replbq{margin:4;}
        -->

      • Matthew Dodder
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 17, 2008
          All,

          The annual SCVAS trip to Honey Lake (Lassen County),
          led by Bob Hirt was a huge success this past weekend.
          GREATER SAGE GROUSE were present and displaying on the
          lek as hoped. Other highlights of the trip included
          ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK (light and dark phase), several BALD
          EAGLES, RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER, LEWIS'S WOODPECKER,
          TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE, MOUNTAIN CHICKADEE, JUNIPER
          TITMOUSE, 2 NORTHERN SHRIKE (an adult and an
          immature), and MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRD.

          Bob sent me a quick list of the full trip which
          includes a few more birds than I mentioned above. I'm
          attaching it below:

          <<<<
          Friday Hi-lites with Paulann Thurmon and David
          McIntyre:

          Red Rock Road:

          Juniper Titmouse

          Townsend's Solitaire

          Highway 395 marshes on right before Honey Lake:

          Eurasian Wigeon

          Dakin Unit:

          Im.Northern Shrike at entrance road and Mapes corner
          Fleming Unit area seen by Matthew and Kelly Dodder:

          Ad. Northern Shrike on Mapes between 395 (more
          precisely the Five Point Pheasant club Sign) and Fish
          and Game road (seen by David McIntyre and Paulann
          also)

          Huge Snow Goose Flock right behind first house on
          Mapes at S curve. Huge Pintail flock on west side of
          Mapes just beyond.

          Golden Eagle: On right hand cliffs on 395 going north
          just beyond the mustang corrals.

          Janesville Main Street:

          Slate-colored Junco at Robinson's feeder (also
          Mountain Chickadees) at entrance to cemetery.

          Lewis's Woodpecker five at Vermillion's house tree
          south of the church (very bad weather)

          Saturday Hi-lites:

          Sage Grouse: 16 males and 8 females and a small
          Pronghorn herd (20).

          Fleming unit area:

          Ad. Northern Shrike (likely same bird as Friday) 8 AM
          on Fish and Game road near where ponds are on both
          sides before the unit. We had 6 Redheads on the ponds
          to the North of the road.

          Rough-legged Hawk: at unit there were 3 (one dark
          phase). A few Sandhill Cranes left.

          Susanville after breakfast:

          Mink: In Susan River near Weatherlow bridge and Mill
          St.

          Eurasian Collared Dove: along Carroll St.

          Evening Grosbeak: from pedestrian trail over Lassen St
          and bridge (ole railroad grade) also a Slate-colored
          Junco at a feeder seen from the elevated trail on the
          east side of the pedestrian bridge.

          No White-headeds or decent birds along Wingfoot Road
          except many Townsend's Solitaires

          Red-naped Sapsucker: Across from Veterinarian in
          Janesville before the cemetery road

          Lewis's Woodpecker: With Red-naped (2) and back at the
          church were about 12.

          Mountain Bluebird: Mapes Road between
          Standish-Buntingville Road and the Dakin Unit.

          Rough-legged Hawk: 3 more at Dakin and one Adult Bald
          Eagle far out near lake in tree.

          Golden Eagle: Overhead at Dakin. A few Swans were
          there but not much else.

          Ad.Northern Shrike: Mapes road same spot as Friday
          late in day again 5PM. This is same bird moving around
          a bit.

          Sunday Hi-lites from Eagle Lake (which was completely
          frozen over):

          Townsend's Solitaire and Rough-legged along route. Due
          to time change we were at Jack's Valley too early.

          Much snow on roads. Some turned back. Lake was totally
          frozen over. No ducks no eagles no Osprey.

          Pinyon Jays in two locations: Stones Landing first
          road entrance (50) and Rock Point (?) Lakeshore drive
          (125) along with large flocks of Evening Grosbeaks and
          Robins

          Northern Pygmy Owl: Where the telephone wires parallel
          the road for two to three mile. It was 200 yards (back
          toward Spaulding) from base of steep uphill grade that
          has the old hawk / osprey nest in it. It was in a tree
          at base of thirty foot rock cliff on north (west?)
          non-lake, side of road. Found by Bruce Mast and Bob
          Power. An amazing spotting while driving.

          Returned home via Hwy 36. Stopping at Lake Almanor
          causeway (Common Mergansers and Ring-necked Ducks) and
          at Lassen Nat'l Park which was beautiful but had zero
          birds and an entrance fee. In the past I've had
          White-headed (missed for trip this time), Black-backed
          and Blue Grouse. no such luck this time.

          Matthew Dodder
          http://www.birdguy.net
          Mountain View, CA