Re: Robins

  • Bruce Deuel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2002
      I just got all the messages re: the robin invasion, being gone for the weekend, so I'm a little late jumping into the conversation, but I just wanted to report that, in spite of our lowest turnout of observers, lowest species totals, and lowest number of individual birds ever counted on the Peace Valley CBC (Sutter Buttes/Gray Lodge area) American Robins were above average. They've also invaded my home neighborhood in Red Bluff, but that's a recent phenomenon, within the last 2 weeks. In Redding, there are good numbers, but nowhere the huge flocks of recent past winters.
      Cheers,
      Bruce Deuel
      Red Bluff
    • Chet Ogan/PSW/USDAFS
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 28, 2002
        Hi All,
        I would agree with Bruce Deuel. It seems that the American Robin
        numbers on our northwestern CBCs (Arcata/Eureka, Centerville, Del Norte,
        Willow Creek) that numbers were just about normal this year.
        This was not like the 23 Dec 2000 Willow Creek CBC where we had over
        53,000 robins (probably a very moderate estimate). On that day the sky was
        literally filled with flying robins wherever one looked along the
        ridgetops. At any one time I could see at least 200 robins flying. This
        was apparent for the whole 5 mile distance between willow Creek and Salyer.
        Ron LeValley reported the same phenomena two ridges away. I stopped along
        HWY 299 at one place to scan for meadowlarks and looked across at the
        opposite hillside about 1/2 mile away. The hill appeared to be moving
        until with closer inspection it was robins flying between foraging spots.
        When the highway noise quieted all I could hear were robins. The madrone
        trees had put on a very large berry crop the fall of 2000 perhaps in
        response to the lack of rainfall.

        Chet Ogan