Re: [CALBIRDS] Bendire's Thrashers in California

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2008
      Last year at the end of March, Bruce and Greg Aird and I saw 5
      species of mimid - Bendire's, Crissal, Le Conte's, and Sage Thrashers
      and Northern Mockingbird in the sage scrub southwest of the
      intersection of Black Canyon Road and Wild Horse Road, which is just
      south of Hole-In-The-Wall campground. I'll be leading a trip there on
      the first weekend in April for Sea and Sage Audubon. See the
      Wandering Tattler on the Sea and Sage website for details.

      We will also hit Cima Road and Mid Hills Campground. Mid Hills is
      often good for Pinyon Jays and Juniper Titmouse.

      At 05:54 PM 2008-03-09, Ken Burton wrote:
      >I have found Bendire's in May along the northern stretch of Wild Horse
      >Canyon Road between Mid Hills Campground and Black Canyon Road in Mojave
      >NP. The dense, higher-elevation scrub there seems unattractive to Le
      >Conte's, which seems to prefer areas that have plenty of open ground
      >between shrubs.

      Good birding,

      Steve Sosensky,
      SoCA Bird Guides <steve at sosensky.com> www.sosensky.com/guides
      Nature Photos www.sosensky.com/nature_photos.htm
      Optics4Birding <steve at optics4birding.com> www.optics4birding.com
      Aliso Viejo, CA 92656 949-269-2161 33.56485 N, 117.72205 W
    • Lance Benner
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2008
        Greetings All,

        I'd like to mention some places in the east Mojave for Crissal and Bendire's Thrasher that haven't appeared in the previous emails.

        Kathi Ellsworth and I have had Bendire's Thrasher along Cedar Canyon Road and Ivanpah Road in Joshua Trees south of the New York Mountains. Both are dirt roads accessible without four-wheel drive. We also get Crissal Thrasher and along the roads into Keystone and Carruthers Canyons in the New York Mountains. The roads into those canyons have deteriorated in recent years so we recommend using a high-clearance vehicle.

        Regards,

        Lance Benner
        Altadena, CA