Gilded Flickers (was RE: [CALBIRDS] Bendire's Thrashers in California)

  • Koonce, Sandy
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2008
      Thanks to Dick for the excellent suggestions and directions for finding Crissal and Bendire's Thrashers. I just wanted to add a cautionary note to Dick's description of where to find Gilded Flickers. While the Cima Dome area that Dick describes is certainly the place to look for them, be aware that Red-shafted Flickers breed in this area as well. In fact, a few years ago, a few of us found a mated pair, one adult with reddish wing linings and the other with yellowish wing linings. We could not get close enough to see all the details of the two birds' plumages.

      I personally do not know exactly what a Gilded x Red-shafted Flicker ought to look like and would welcome any comments from anyone with experience identifying them. But I did want to point out that a flicker in this region with yellowish wing linings might in fact be a hybrid and not a pure Gilded, so one should take care and try to see all the plumage details, not just the color of the wing linings. Unfortunately, my experience has been that the flickers on Cima Dome tend to be rather wary, so getting a good look is decidedly non-trivial (even if you have found a candidate to observe, in itself non-trivial).

      One final plea: the East Mojave National Preserve is a beautiful and under-birded area; if you do go, please report your sightings, at the very least to the local listserve, inlandcountybirds@yahoogroups.com.

      Thanks!

      Sandy

      Sandy Koonce
      Department of Mathematics
      University of Redlands, Redlands, CA 92373
      sandy_koonce@...