Northern Flicker hybrid range

  • kwpenland
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2008
      Found a roadkill Red-shafted Northern Flicker today about 5 miles west
      of Frazier Park, CA (ele 5,000 ft), and was surprised to see one
      bright yellow center tail feather, and 2-3 bright yellow (and
      yellow-shafted) primaries on each wing. Unfortunately, the head was
      completely destroyed so no way to see the facial pattern/colors.

      I always thought the hybrid range of the Yellow- and Red-shafted was
      much farther east and north, ranging from the Texas panhandle to
      southern Canada. Or is this bird not a hybrid and just showing
      anomalous pigmentation?

      Thanks!

      Katy Penland
      Los Angeles, CA