RE: [CALBIRDS] Southern California Bird Box

  • JOHN STERLING
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 26, 2008
      Us northerners still call the BirdBox when we are traveling due to lack of
      internets access. So I hope that people still use it as it is easier than
      calling/bugging a local birder to find out the latest bird news.

      John Sterling

      VVVVVVVVVV

      26 Palm Ave

      Woodland, CA 95695

      cell 530 908-3836

      ani@...

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 26, 2008
        I call the So. Cal. BirdBox whenever I go to southern California. I
        have posted there before and would if I had any good birds to post. I
        would hope that major rarities would be there. I do not have Internet
        access when traveling in the south, but I do have a cell phone, so
        having posts on the BirdBox would be a great help to me, and others
        like me.

        Don Roberson
        Pacific Grove CA
        http://montereybay.com/creagrus/
      • wagtail1997
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 26, 2008
          Let me add my 5 cents (my time is more valuable than 2 cents) to this
          discussion about phone vs other electronic RBAs.

          I was just in the same situation.... maintain out of my pocket a phone
          RBA for Orange County AND a Yahoo Groups Internet newsletter-type RBA,
          or get rid of the phone line.

          The phone line by necessity is a business line. No outgoing calls.
          Just to move the line into my new place cost $233 for installation.
          Costs varied but about $19 a month was about average. As one person
          once said... a few dollars here, a few dollars there, and pretty soon
          you are talking a lot of money.... and after 8 or 9 years, including
          the cost of a state of the art answering machine... enough to buy for
          me a state of the art new pair of binoculars!!! Trying to fund a
          non-sponsored RBA, as I think the Birdbox is, is problematical. The
          costs should be spread among all of us.... usually through society
          sponsorship. I don't think that's happened with the LA Birdbox...and
          it has had it's ups and downs with maintenance. If an RBA can't be
          relied upon, it will not be used regularly.

          Researching phone RBAs, I found a policy statement by the ABA asking
          that they be continued. This was specifically for people who don't
          have computers (obviously not anyone reading this message) or people
          visiting an area from out of town.

          I was in discussion with Sea and Sage Audubon Society about the
          dropping of the phone line or the possibility of having them take over
          the ownership of the number and thus the bill payment (although the
          phone would not change numbers or leave my home office)... and there
          was some mixed feelings.

          That probably changed with the Roseate Spoonbill coming exactly when I
          was monitoring the messages coming into the RBA in a given week.
          Typically, the phone would get on a weekday 1 or 2 incoming calls
          only, and maybe 5 or 10 on weekends. That jumped to 25 or more per
          day when the Spoonbill was in Orange County. (Of course that could be
          one person calling 25 times!!!) RBA phone lines work best when a
          mega rarity is in the area.

          Not everyone has text messaging or networking. I was chained to the
          phone that week (also due to a roof leak and repairs)... and was able
          to field incoming messages and change the outgoing message quickly....
          so I think a number of birders who saw the Spoonbill would not have,
          if the phone RBA was not in existence.

          Sea and Sage Audubon has taken over sponsorship of the Orange County
          RBA phone line, and I'm grateful for them because of it.

          Joel Weintraub
          Dana Point, CA
        • Lori Conrad
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 26, 2008
            Hi all

            Here's my 3.5 cents.........

            Not everyone has the ability to receive emails on their cell phones, so it would be nice (& considerate!) if people would post their sightings on the Birdbox, as well as on the internet.

            Awhile back there was a rather lengthy discussion regarding people who called only a small group of people (referred to as "elite") when they discovered a rarity. How much harder would it be to call a 2nd number to get the word out to more people?

            Here's a suggestion: Try calling the NoCal Birdox sometime. Every single day there are several new messages. If they can utilize it, what makes SoCal so different? What is it that says because you happen to be able to access the internet on your cell or blackberry, that you shouldn't share your sightings with those who don't? I'm sure there are many of us who have had the not-so-pleasant experience of getting home after birding, only to find out after checking their computer that a rarity was seen not far from where they had just been? How frustrating is that?
            Does that elite word need to be mentioned again?

            Just my opinion, but I know I'm not alone in that sentiment. The pot has been stirred!

            Lori Conrad
            Hermosa Beach, CA

          • Oscar Johnson
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 27, 2008
              All,

              It seems to me like the SoCal Birdbox has potential to be extremely
              helpful, but currently seems to be neglected. With all the new
              technology now available it may be tempting to stick with
              internet-based reporting, but I know that for many of us (myself
              included) we can't check our e-mail besides when we are at home. The
              phone tree does still work, and I don't think it should be abandoned,
              but it is certainly not any inconvenience to call the birdbox,
              especially for quick dissemination of information when still in the
              field. It seems to me as though what the SoCal birdbox needs to be
              used effectively again is that for one, it needs to be reliable (I
              don't mean this as a insult, but it goes down way more than any other
              birdbox I have ever used), expanded to include all of Southern
              California (as its name implies; San Diego, Orange, Imperial,
              Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, Santa Barbara, Kern, and Inyo
              Counties), and just get people to start using it again. Looking at the
              Monterey Birdbox as an example, it seems to me like the text message
              idea is most useful, and almost all new cell phones have this feature.
              The idea is just that if someone so pleases, whenever a new message is
              posted to the birdbox, a text message is sent to their phone telling
              them that there is a new message.

              I'm all for trying to revive it, and especially since it is apparently
              already being funded from a steady source (correct me if i'm wrong).

              Oscar Johnson
              Santa Barbara
            • john small
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 31, 2008
                Good Afternoon SoCal Birders, just an inquiry of curiousity. Several months ago, the Southern California Birdbox ph. no.was deleted with the promise of new phone line to be
                reinstilled very soon. That said, will there be a new bird box ph. in the near future? I thought I'd just inqiure.

                Thank You
                John Small
                Torrance,  CA