LRS vs. SRS in D.E. Junco &......

  • DANIEL EDELSTEIN
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2008
      Nathaniel and other Dark-Eyed Junco aficianados:

      1. Regarding your question, Nathaniel, according to the authors (Nolan, Jr., V., E. D. Ketterson, D. A. Cristol, C. M. Rogers, E. D. Clotfelter, R. C. Titus, S. J. Schoech, and E. Snajdr) of the N.A. Birds Online account for this species:

      Long-Range Song (LRS) relates to tentative, plastic, unrepeated, somewhat warbled phrases (subsong) by D.E. Juncos.

      In Short-Range Song (SRS), volume is low and no pattern detectable. Captive males sing SRS during first winter (8–10 mo old, as an interpretation of Peter Marler's pioneer bird song analysis research).

      In addition, my readings on this species indicate little definitive information is available about the call patterns of D.E. Junco.

      2. Contacting the true experts -- the authors listed above -- would be your best bet for more precise information, BUT I don't have their contact information. Sorry.

      Good birding,

      Daniel Edelstein

      Novato, CA (Bay Area)

      &