Re: [CALBIRDS] Common Yellowthroat Subspecies Breeding Range Boundaries?

  • Joseph Morlan
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15 9:38 AM
      On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:05:49 -0500 (EST), DANIEL EDELSTEIN
      <edelstein@...> wrote:

      >In the research literature, in addition to the N. American Birds Online account for Common Yellowthroat, there's no
      >defined and confirmed breeding range boundary for the special-status subspecies (Geothlypis trichas sinuosa) (no italics possible in my email program)
      >designation assigned to this wood-warbler by the Cal. Dept. of Fish & Game.
      >
      >Does anyone have different information than my current findings?
      >
      >For example, is a survey person who hears the chip note of this species (as I did the other day) in the Suisun area along the Bay/Delta.......and in the San Rafael area along the Bay......to assume this is the "sinuos" subspecies?
      >
      >Thanks in advance for any help.

      You can download Grinnell & Miller at:

      http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Condor/cooper/pca_027.pdf

      It's over 40 MB so broadband is recommended.

      Then navigate to page 412 and check out the map (Fig. 42). It has the
      breeding range of G. t. sinuosa.

      Also don't forget the following sources:

      Hobson, K., P. Perrine, E. B. Roberts, M. L. Foster, and P. Woodin. 1986.
      A breeding season survey of Salt Marsh Yellowthroats Geothlypis trichas
      sinuosa in the San Francisco Bay region. S. F. Bay Bird Obs. Rept. to U.S.
      Fish Wildl. Serv., Contract 84-57. (Census summary is in the Marin County
      Breeding Bird Atlas by Shuford).

      Marshall, J. T. and K. G. Dedrick. 1994. Endemic Song Sparrows and
      yellowthroats of San Francisco Bay. Pp. 316–327 in A century of avifaunal
      change in western North America (J. R. Jehl, Jr., and N. K. Johnson, eds.).
      Stud. Avian Biol. no. 15.

      The latter is downloadable for free at:

      http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Condor/cooper/sab_015.pdf

      Additional maps showing Bay Area breeding localities are included in:

      http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentVersionID=4688

      Surveys from Solano County including map of breeding localities are at:

      http://www.scwa2.com/hcp/Final%20Draft%202.0/Appendices/APPX%20B-Species%20Descriptions/Salt%20Marsh%20Common%20Yellowthroat.pdf

      --
      Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
      Birding Classes start Feb 5 in SF http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17 6:59 PM
        Ken et al.

        Note that sinuosa does not need to breed in tidal habitats at all, in
        fact they often don�t breed in marsh habitats. Here in Half Moon Bay sinuosa
        is a bird of moister grassy-scrub mix, in flat terrain as well as freshwater
        marsh edge. The range of sinuosa is not well defined, and whether there is
        much or any migration outside of the bay are during the winter is an open
        question. The San Francisco Bay Bird Observatory published a couple of
        reports on this subspecies many years ago, where they surveyed many
        populations around the Bay Area. However, the question of where sinuosa ends
        and other forms begin was not tackled in those reports. I have measured many
        Common Yellowthroat specimens from California, but have not published my
        results on this. Apart from coloration, sinuosa is actually pretty distinct
        in its small size and particularly in its short wing. My aim was to create
        some diagnostic identification criteria for sinuosa and then try to apply
        them to determining where the distribution edges are for this form, and
        whether there was were intergrade zones with other forms.

        Cheers

        Al

        Alvaro Jaramillo

        HYPERLINK "mailto:chucao@..."chucao@...

        Half Moon Bay, California

        Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide

        HYPERLINK "http://www.fieldguides.com"www.fieldguides.com

        _____

        From: "DANIEL EDELSTEIN" <HYPERLINK
        > In the research literature, in addition to the N. American Birds Online
        account for Common Yellowthroat, there's no
        > defined and confirmed breeding range boundary for the special-status
        subspecies (Geothlypis trichas sinuosa) (no italics possible in my email
        program)
        > designation assigned to this wood-warbler by the Cal. Dept. of Fish &
        Game.

        > Does anyone have different information than my current findings?
        >
        > For example, is a survey person who hears the chip note of this species
        (as I did the other day) in the Suisun area along the Bay/Delta...-....and
        in the San Rafael area along the Bay......to assume this is the "sinuos"
        subspecies?

        > Thanks in advance for any help.
        >

        > Daniel Edelstein
        >
        > Ellison Bay, WI