Re: [CALBIRDS] Common Yellowthroat Subspecies Breeding Range Boundaries?

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2008
      Daniel,

      I don't have access to my own literature at the moment but I believe that sinuosa breeds in tidal habitats all around the bay. I don't know the exact boundary in the Delta. It disperses widely in winter, typically away from tidal habitats, and co-occurs with other subspecies, resident and migrant, at that time. So the answer to your question depends on the date. At this time, sinuosa is probably moving back into breeding habitat but other subspecies may be moving through it, so no such assumption should be made.

      Have you checked Grinnell and Miller?

      Ken Burton
      Arcata
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2008
        On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:05:49 -0500 (EST), DANIEL EDELSTEIN
        <edelstein@...> wrote:

        >In the research literature, in addition to the N. American Birds Online account for Common Yellowthroat, there's no
        >defined and confirmed breeding range boundary for the special-status subspecies (Geothlypis trichas sinuosa) (no italics possible in my email program)
        >designation assigned to this wood-warbler by the Cal. Dept. of Fish & Game.
        >
        >Does anyone have different information than my current findings?
        >
        >For example, is a survey person who hears the chip note of this species (as I did the other day) in the Suisun area along the Bay/Delta.......and in the San Rafael area along the Bay......to assume this is the "sinuos" subspecies?
        >
        >Thanks in advance for any help.

        You can download Grinnell & Miller at:

        http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Condor/cooper/pca_027.pdf

        It's over 40 MB so broadband is recommended.

        Then navigate to page 412 and check out the map (Fig. 42). It has the
        breeding range of G. t. sinuosa.

        Also don't forget the following sources:

        Hobson, K., P. Perrine, E. B. Roberts, M. L. Foster, and P. Woodin. 1986.
        A breeding season survey of Salt Marsh Yellowthroats Geothlypis trichas
        sinuosa in the San Francisco Bay region. S. F. Bay Bird Obs. Rept. to U.S.
        Fish Wildl. Serv., Contract 84-57. (Census summary is in the Marin County
        Breeding Bird Atlas by Shuford).

        Marshall, J. T. and K. G. Dedrick. 1994. Endemic Song Sparrows and
        yellowthroats of San Francisco Bay. Pp. 316–327 in A century of avifaunal
        change in western North America (J. R. Jehl, Jr., and N. K. Johnson, eds.).
        Stud. Avian Biol. no. 15.

        The latter is downloadable for free at:

        http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Condor/cooper/sab_015.pdf

        Additional maps showing Bay Area breeding localities are included in:

        http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentVersionID=4688

        Surveys from Solano County including map of breeding localities are at:

        http://www.scwa2.com/hcp/Final%20Draft%202.0/Appendices/APPX%20B-Species%20Descriptions/Salt%20Marsh%20Common%20Yellowthroat.pdf

        --
        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
        Birding Classes start Feb 5 in SF http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 17, 2008
          Ken et al.

          Note that sinuosa does not need to breed in tidal habitats at all, in
          fact they often don�t breed in marsh habitats. Here in Half Moon Bay sinuosa
          is a bird of moister grassy-scrub mix, in flat terrain as well as freshwater
          marsh edge. The range of sinuosa is not well defined, and whether there is
          much or any migration outside of the bay are during the winter is an open
          question. The San Francisco Bay Bird Observatory published a couple of
          reports on this subspecies many years ago, where they surveyed many
          populations around the Bay Area. However, the question of where sinuosa ends
          and other forms begin was not tackled in those reports. I have measured many
          Common Yellowthroat specimens from California, but have not published my
          results on this. Apart from coloration, sinuosa is actually pretty distinct
          in its small size and particularly in its short wing. My aim was to create
          some diagnostic identification criteria for sinuosa and then try to apply
          them to determining where the distribution edges are for this form, and
          whether there was were intergrade zones with other forms.

          Cheers

          Al

          Alvaro Jaramillo

          HYPERLINK "mailto:chucao@..."chucao@...

          Half Moon Bay, California

          Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide

          HYPERLINK "http://www.fieldguides.com"www.fieldguides.com

          _____

          > In the research literature, in addition to the N. American Birds Online
          account for Common Yellowthroat, there's no
          > defined and confirmed breeding range boundary for the special-status
          subspecies (Geothlypis trichas sinuosa) (no italics possible in my email
          program)
          > designation assigned to this wood-warbler by the Cal. Dept. of Fish &
          Game.

          > Does anyone have different information than my current findings?
          >
          > For example, is a survey person who hears the chip note of this species
          (as I did the other day) in the Suisun area along the Bay/Delta...-....and
          in the San Rafael area along the Bay......to assume this is the "sinuos"
          subspecies?

          > Thanks in advance for any help.
          >

          > Daniel Edelstein
          >
          > Ellison Bay, WI