Common Yellowthroat Subspecies Breeding Range Boundaries?

  • DANIEL EDELSTEIN
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2008
      In the research literature, in addition to the N. American Birds Online account for Common Yellowthroat, there's no
      defined and confirmed breeding range boundary for the special-status subspecies (Geothlypis trichas sinuosa) (no italics possible in my email program)
      designation assigned to this wood-warbler by the Cal. Dept. of Fish & Game.

      Does anyone have different information than my current findings?

      For example, is a survey person who hears the chip note of this species (as I did the other day) in the Suisun area along the Bay/Delta.......and in the San Rafael area along the Bay......to assume this is the "sinuos" subspecies?

      Thanks in advance for any help.

      Daniel Edelstein

      Ellison Bay, WI

      &

      Novato, CA (Bay Area)

      http://www.warblerwatch.com

      12 Kingfisher Court
      Novato, CA 94949-6628
      415-382-1827 (voice & DSL fax)
    • Ken Burton
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2008
        Daniel,

        I don't have access to my own literature at the moment but I believe that sinuosa breeds in tidal habitats all around the bay. I don't know the exact boundary in the Delta. It disperses widely in winter, typically away from tidal habitats, and co-occurs with other subspecies, resident and migrant, at that time. So the answer to your question depends on the date. At this time, sinuosa is probably moving back into breeding habitat but other subspecies may be moving through it, so no such assumption should be made.

        Have you checked Grinnell and Miller?

        Ken Burton
        Arcata
        > In the research literature, in addition to the N. American Birds Online account for Common Yellowthroat, there's no
        > defined and confirmed breeding range boundary for the special-status subspecies (Geothlypis trichas sinuosa) (no italics possible in my email program)
        > designation assigned to this wood-warbler by the Cal. Dept. of Fish & Game.
        >
        > Does anyone have different information than my current findings?
        >
        > For example, is a survey person who hears the chip note of this species (as I did the other day) in the Suisun area along the Bay/Delta.......and in the San Rafael area along the Bay......to assume this is the "sinuos" subspecies?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any help.
        >

        > Daniel Edelstein
        >
        > Ellison Bay, WI
        >
        > &
        >
        > Novato, CA (Bay Area)
        >

        > http://www.warblerwatch.com
        >
        > 12 Kingfisher Court
        > Novato, CA 94949-6628
        > 415-382-1827 (voice & DSL fax)

      • Joseph Morlan
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15, 2008
          On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:05:49 -0500 (EST), DANIEL EDELSTEIN
          <edelstein@...> wrote:

          >In the research literature, in addition to the N. American Birds Online account for Common Yellowthroat, there's no
          >defined and confirmed breeding range boundary for the special-status subspecies (Geothlypis trichas sinuosa) (no italics possible in my email program)
          >designation assigned to this wood-warbler by the Cal. Dept. of Fish & Game.
          >
          >Does anyone have different information than my current findings?
          >
          >For example, is a survey person who hears the chip note of this species (as I did the other day) in the Suisun area along the Bay/Delta.......and in the San Rafael area along the Bay......to assume this is the "sinuos" subspecies?
          >
          >Thanks in advance for any help.

          You can download Grinnell & Miller at:

          http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Condor/cooper/pca_027.pdf

          It's over 40 MB so broadband is recommended.

          Then navigate to page 412 and check out the map (Fig. 42). It has the
          breeding range of G. t. sinuosa.

          Also don't forget the following sources:

          Hobson, K., P. Perrine, E. B. Roberts, M. L. Foster, and P. Woodin. 1986.
          A breeding season survey of Salt Marsh Yellowthroats Geothlypis trichas
          sinuosa in the San Francisco Bay region. S. F. Bay Bird Obs. Rept. to U.S.
          Fish Wildl. Serv., Contract 84-57. (Census summary is in the Marin County
          Breeding Bird Atlas by Shuford).

          Marshall, J. T. and K. G. Dedrick. 1994. Endemic Song Sparrows and
          yellowthroats of San Francisco Bay. Pp. 316–327 in A century of avifaunal
          change in western North America (J. R. Jehl, Jr., and N. K. Johnson, eds.).
          Stud. Avian Biol. no. 15.

          The latter is downloadable for free at:

          http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Condor/cooper/sab_015.pdf

          Additional maps showing Bay Area breeding localities are included in:

          http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentVersionID=4688

          Surveys from Solano County including map of breeding localities are at:

          http://www.scwa2.com/hcp/Final%20Draft%202.0/Appendices/APPX%20B-Species%20Descriptions/Salt%20Marsh%20Common%20Yellowthroat.pdf

          --
          Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
          Birding Classes start Feb 5 in SF http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 17, 2008
            Ken et al.

            Note that sinuosa does not need to breed in tidal habitats at all, in
            fact they often don�t breed in marsh habitats. Here in Half Moon Bay sinuosa
            is a bird of moister grassy-scrub mix, in flat terrain as well as freshwater
            marsh edge. The range of sinuosa is not well defined, and whether there is
            much or any migration outside of the bay are during the winter is an open
            question. The San Francisco Bay Bird Observatory published a couple of
            reports on this subspecies many years ago, where they surveyed many
            populations around the Bay Area. However, the question of where sinuosa ends
            and other forms begin was not tackled in those reports. I have measured many
            Common Yellowthroat specimens from California, but have not published my
            results on this. Apart from coloration, sinuosa is actually pretty distinct
            in its small size and particularly in its short wing. My aim was to create
            some diagnostic identification criteria for sinuosa and then try to apply
            them to determining where the distribution edges are for this form, and
            whether there was were intergrade zones with other forms.

            Cheers

            Al

            Alvaro Jaramillo

            HYPERLINK "mailto:chucao@..."chucao@...

            Half Moon Bay, California

            Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide

            HYPERLINK "http://www.fieldguides.com"www.fieldguides.com

            _____

            > In the research literature, in addition to the N. American Birds Online
            account for Common Yellowthroat, there's no
            > defined and confirmed breeding range boundary for the special-status
            subspecies (Geothlypis trichas sinuosa) (no italics possible in my email
            program)
            > designation assigned to this wood-warbler by the Cal. Dept. of Fish &
            Game.

            > Does anyone have different information than my current findings?
            >
            > For example, is a survey person who hears the chip note of this species
            (as I did the other day) in the Suisun area along the Bay/Delta...-....and
            in the San Rafael area along the Bay......to assume this is the "sinuos"
            subspecies?

            > Thanks in advance for any help.
            >

            > Daniel Edelstein
            >
            > Ellison Bay, WI