Arctic Loon continues in Humboldt Co. 14 Feb. 2008

  • Rob Fowler
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2008
      Hi all,
      The Arctic Loon was seen by many observers this afternoon at around
      1245-1330. Once again the bird was seen from the visitors center pullout at
      Stone Lagoon. Today we had the bird to the northwest of the pullout, looking
      towards the northern edge of the lagoon. It spent most of it's time between
      the first 2 distinct points that you can see with just your eyes looking
      along the northern shoreline. Once again it was diving actively and was hard
      to keep up with but persistence payed off and all who were present got very
      satisfactory looks.

      Moral of the story: You might have to expect to spend HOURS scoping for this
      bird. When you see it you WILL know that it's an Arctic Loon! It is the
      darkest overall of all the loons present on the lagoon and constantly shows
      the white flank patches. Persistence will pay off and, of course, just plain
      dumb look might work, also. Persistence, though, will more likely produce
      you an Arctic Loon for you here.

      Good luck,

      --
      Rob Fowler
      Arcata, CA

    • Elias Elias
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2008
        Just to add a few things to Rob email.

        Bring a 40-60 power scope to view this bird. You'd have to be lucky to
        catch it closer than a mile away.

        I threw together a quick map for those who are interested.

        http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=41.247935,-124.070921&spn=0.044011,0.101709&t=h&z=14&msid=116177958158943868713.0004462839bc6664e0db8

        There are no motor-boat allowed on this body of water.

        Elias Elias
        HOME 141 G Street Arcata, CA 95521
        WORK USDA Forest Service, Redwood Sciences Lab., Bird Monitoring Lab.,
        1700 Bayview Drive Arcata CA 95521
        (707) 826-2758 home (707) 845-2537 mobile (707) 826-2758 fax

        My status <skype:eliasaelias?chat>
        Get Skype <http://www.skype.com/go/download> and call me for free.