RE: [CALBIRDS] SAN DIEGO MANX SHEARWATER and San Diego Bird Festival Whale and Pelagic Bird Trip

  • Geoffrey Rogers
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2008
      Terry and all,

      It seems noteworthy that Western Gulls which in years past streamed by the
      thousands out from the Coronados' North Island nesting site to welcome us
      (and get free popcorn) were greatly reduced this year. I checked the west
      slope of North Island and saw quite a few Brown Pelican nests but not
      anywhere near the huge number of gulls seen in previous years. Although we
      are in a La Nina period, the papers on El Nino and La Nina that I "skimmed"
      indicate generally decreased productivity under both but "common" species
      are less affected. Does anyone know if Western Gulls on the Channel Islands
      have dropped off? Maybe it's cyclical.

      Geoff

      Geoffrey L. Rogers
      San Diego, CA