Slaty-backed Gulls in Humboldt Co. 1 Feb. 2008

  • Rob Fowler
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hi all,
      Today, Matt Wachs and I found a 3rd cycle Slaty-backed Gull around 9:00 am
      in the Ferndale Bottoms, Humboldt Co. Photos are at the link below:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/migratoriusfwlr/SlatyBackedGullFerndaleBottomsHumboldtCo1Feb2008

      The bird was successfully chased by others, being seen by 3 other
      people, making it the first two-party Slaty-backed in Humboldt!

      Amazingly (for those who don't look at NWCALBIRD), as I was making calls
      around to notify birders, I called Larry Maurin to tell him about our find.
      He told me that (before I even said anything about my Slaty-backed) he had
      an ADULT Slaty-backed Gull at Hiller Park in McKinleyville!! That bird was
      confirmed and seen (and photographted by a few) by multiple parties today,
      being last seen around 4:00 p.m. So.....2 Slaty-backed options (?) in
      Humboldt County.

      Lot's of gulls around!

      Rob Fowler
      Arcata, CA