Unique Raptor behavior

  • Jamie Mullin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2008
      This morning (7:45am) after waking up to about 3"-4" of snow I was
      viewing the birds around my window feeders and out of no where
      something big flew right down to the railing on our deck where the
      Juncos like to hang out, this was outside of the side living room
      window. As soon as the large bird hit the deck railing it took off
      again hitting my finch feeding socks. It flew up to the wires where
      it landed for about 1 min then flew off into the trees across the
      street. I got good looks of it and it is definitely a juv. Red-
      shouldered Hawk. He got one of the only slate colored Juncos in my
      yard as I was watching this particular bird on the railing when it
      happened. The Junco was trying to get onto the finch socks hanging
      from the roof.

      I have noticed this Hawk in the trees around my house for a few weeks
      now.

      Then again at 9:30 this morning, snowing a lot by this time, he did
      the same thing but this time landing on the wires right in my front
      yard. I had my camera out taking birds in snow photos so I was
      prepared. He had missed his target this time and as soon as I lifted
      the camera up to the window he flew away back across the street
      before I could get a shoot off.

      This little guy may be onto something. I have heard of people telling
      about raptors trying to get at the birds in their yard but never seen
      it until today. Incredible sight.

      Jamie Mullin
      Groveland, CA
      www.aves101.com