Roseate Spoonbill

  • John_Small@toyota.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 23, 2008
      Good Early Afternoon CalBirders

      Most deepest apologies for this very late post. This past Monday(1-21-08),
      I took a trip to Hidden Valley Area and located the Roseate Spoonbill,
      which was
      sitting in the area of the Educational Pond. After briefly leaving the
      pond, I returned and bird had departed, and I was unable to relocate it. I
      departed for home
      later in the early afternoon, and on my way out, opposite the way I
      entered, I saw a group of egrets sitting in the area where the ponds were
      drying up. I stopped to retrieve my binoculars out of back pack. Then I
      noticed a pinkish colored egret like bird flying adjacent to where I
      spotted the small flock.

      I immediately recognized the bird as the spoonbill. The bird then landed
      in some trees, where my view was obstructed. The spoonbill then flew
      again, when
      I got a very good look at it. The bird then landed again in a wet area
      where my view again was obstructed by some tall trees. For those of you
      birders who are
      not with the Hidden Valley Wildlife Area, it is located in Riverside
      County, on the border of the city of Riverside, and Norco. The area where
      I spotted the spoonbill the 2nd time, is just east of the Nature Center.

      The best way to find the Hidden Valley Wildlife Area, is Googling the
      directions on the internet. If any of you Calbirders, have access to
      Inland County Birds,
      please forward this message to them.

      Good Birding
      John Small
      Torrance,CA

    • Michelle Townsley
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17
        Bob and I had eye-popping views of the ROSEATE SPOONBILL at the end of Garst Road (through the muddy road). It was 100 yards away preening on some rocks. We watched it for about 20 minutes when I went back to the car for my PhoneSkope. I met up with Matthew Page, Louis Tucker, Karin Kersteter, and Josh Lietzow and led them toward the spot. About halfway back to the spot we saw Bob walking back toward us! The bird had flown but Bob was able to tell us where he last saw it. With all of us looking, Matthew was able to find it again. However it was on the opposite side of the water about half a mile away. We all got good looks at it preening on top of a hunting blind.

        Michelle Townsley
        Ventura County

        Sent from my iPhone