Antelope Valley Hawk Trip

  • Nancy Kenyon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2008
      Sea & Sage Audubon has scheduled a special Hawk-Banding Field Trip this
      coming Sunday, Jan. 13th, in the Antelope Valley. The trip will be led
      by Pete Bloom and Scott Thomas. Here is the trip information:

      ANTELOPE VALLEY HAWK BANDING TRIP
      Sunday - Jan. 13th - 7:00 am to 2:00 pm

      In the fall and winter months, migratory raptors flood into the Antelope
      Valley and upper desert regions. Red-tailed Hawks are a sure bet with
      many others such as Prairie Falcons, Rough-legged and Ferruginous Hawks,
      American Kestrels, Northern Harriers, and even Golden Eagles. Unlike
      most birding trips, this one offers close-up views of the raptors
      because Pete and Scott are going to be banding those they catch and then
      returning them to the place where they were caught and releasing them.
      Very early risers may also see owls.

      Trip participants will be in close proximity to the raptors. It's a
      great opportunity for photographers and those who want to learn more
      about our Southern California birds of prey.

      DIRECTIONS: We will meet at Ave. A and Hwy. 14 in the Antelope
      Valley. From Orange County, take the #5 Freeway north to #14 (Antelope
      Valley Freeway); exit on #14 and drive north approximately 45 miles
      (through Lancaster) until you reach Avenue A. Turn left on Avenue A and
      park.

      Dress in layers; bring lunch, a map, and a full tank of gas. We will
      be out until at least 2:00, rain or shine.

      Pete Bloom and Scott Thomas, Leaders

      Nancy Kenyon
      Irvine