Re: [CALBIRDS] Contra Costa County, Late Feb./early March

  • snorkler@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2008
      Fred,

      Although it precedes your mini-course dates, you might consider taking interested students to the San Francisco Bay Flyway Festival (http://sfbayflywayfestival.com/) in Vallejo the weekend of February 1-3. There will be slide shows, optics vendors, live raptors, and volunteers with spotting scopes in the marsh to show birds to the public.

      I would suggest Bodega Bay instead of Pt. Reyes, since there are vehicle restrictions beyond Drake's Bay. You have to get (free) tickets to take a shuttle bus to the Lighthouse, Chimney Rock, and the Fish Docks between January 1 and March 31. At least that's how it's been for about the past 5 years out there, to protect the Northern Elephant Seal rookery there.

      I presume many of your students will not have binoculars, so getting close to the birds is important. In that respect, Lake Merritt may be a better place than Jewel Lake, since your students can get wonderful close-up looks at the waterfowl at Lake Merritt.

      Darrell Lee
      Please note: message attached

      Click for a credit repair consultation, raise your FICO score.
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2111/fc/Ioyw6iifRtVsLtUG0WyBuCrUQpsTwugXhHcPj2FDkTC7pQD90BL1YZ/