Bird Box

  • John_Small@toyota.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2008
      Good Afternoon CAL birders, I have a question. The Southern California
      Bird Box has been back in operation for a few weeks now. My question, no
      matter
      trivial it is, is why SoCal birders are not utilizating it. Just thought
      I'd inquire.

      Thank You
      John Small
      Torrance,CA

    • Kimball Garrett
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2008
        For those who use or have used the Los Angeles area "Bird Box"
        [818-952-5502], let me expand on John's query/concern. Bill Principe
        developed the Bird Box and has been maintaining it at his home for years
        [thank you Bill!]. He has had a very heavy travel schedule in recent
        years, and hardware problems which necessitate frequent rebooting have
        meant that the set-up is frequently off-line.

        People aren't using the Bird Box because it has been so intermittent in
        its operation the last couple of years. I hope people will once again
        avail themselves of it, but there is a catch. Bill and Kathleen
        Principe will be living (most or all of the time) in Massachusetts
        starting as early as next month, and the Bird Box will need a new home.
        There are discussions with Mary Freeman (President) and Garry George
        (Executive Director) of L. A. Audubon to possibly transfer the Bird Box
        (unfortunately, probably with a new number) to LAAS headquarters. Other
        possibilities are being investigated as well.

        So be patient -- use it now while it's working, and be assured there is
        movement toward having a dependable Bird Box. Obviously if the Box
        migrates and there is a new telephone #, we'll put out the word.

        KLG

        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager
        900 Exposition Blvd.
        Los Angeles CA 90007
        (213) 763-3368
        (213) 746-2999 FAX
        kgarrett@...

        Behalf
        > Of John_Small@...
        > Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 4:26 PM
        > To: CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [CALBIRDS] Bird Box
        >
        > Good Afternoon CAL birders, I have a question. The Southern California
        > Bird Box has been back in operation for a few weeks now. My question,
        no
        > matter
        > trivial it is, is why SoCal birders are not utilizating it. Just
        thought
        > I'd inquire.
      • john small
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 22, 2008
          Hooray,hooray. For the first time in over a month, the bird box(818-952-5502) was finally used. I guess my efforts were not in vain after all. Now if more people would make use of it.

          Good Birding
          John Small
          Torrance,CA